Gibson Brands Forums

Need help finding the year of my Les Paul

phillythekid

Guest FarnsBarns

Hi, my Les Paul is stamped on the back with 8 1937. I am trying to find out the year of the guitar. Can anyone offer any help?

Thank you.

Looks like a 91 or 2001 R8. Some pics would probably help, the serial number alone can be misleading.

Looks like a 91 or 2001 R8. Some pics would probably help, the serial number alone can be misleading.

It also has 1960 on the pick guard and it's a Les Paul Classic. I'm not able to post pics right now but I appreciate your info. Thank you!

I has to be a pre-2000 guitar because classics past the year 2000 have 6-digit serials.

the first digit I think is the year of manufacture, and the 5-digit serials were for the '90s classics,

so I think its a '98 classic, but I cant break down the ranking number. a lot of people have trouble

breaking down the serials of lp classics, and I mean A LOT. Im pretty sure my info is correct,

but to make sure, and find out the ranking, Id call/email Gibson Customer Service 1-800-4GIBSON(1-800-444-2766)

Hope this helps,

Beast [biggrin]

I has to be a pre-2000 guitar because classics past the year 200 have 6-digit serials.

the first digit I think is the year of manufacture, and the 5-digit serials were for the '90s classics,

so I think its a '98 classic, but I cant break down the ranking number. a lot of people have trouble

breaking down the serials of lp classics, and I mean A LOT. Im pretty sure my info is correct,

but to make sure, and find out the ranking, Id call/email Gibson Customer Service 1-800-4GIBSON(1-800-444-2766)

Hope this helps,

Beast [biggrin]

+1. This would be a 1998 model.

Guest FarnsBarns

I has to be a pre-2000 guitar because classics past the year 200 have 6-digit serials.

Hope this helps,

Beast [biggrin]

Yep, in historic serial the first digit is the reissued year and the second digit is the manufacturing year. But, 1960 stamp rules out the R8.

Therefore its probably a 98 classic.

LP Standards have the first and fifth digits giving you the year but those have at least 8 digit serial.

Yep, in historic serial the first digit is the reissued year and the second digit is the manufacturing year. But, 1960 stamp rules out the R8.

Therefore its probably a 98 classic.

LP Standards have the first and fifth digits giving you the year but those have at least 8 digit serial.

This I from the serial code page at Gibson

"There are always exceptions to these rules, the two listed below are worth noting:

Les Paul Classic: This model features an ink stamped serial number with no "MADE IN USA" (just as we used on the original 1952-1960 Les Pauls). Most will be 5 to 6 digits in length, but the earliest examples feature 4 digit serial numbers. There should be a space after the 1st digit with the 4 and 5 digit serial numbers, and no space with the 6 digit numbers.

The 1st digit indicates the year of manufacture for the 4 & 5 digit serial numbers, these were used from 1989-1999. The 1st and 2nd indicate the year of manufacture for the 6 digit serial numbers which we've been using since 2000."

so uhhh am I right? [biggrin]

Archived