Gibson Brands Forums

What do you guys think of this?

nikko18

I've been seeing these LP projects for sale, from this same seller for years now. I'm no expert but it looks to actually be mahogany and maple to me. I've been thinking about buying one soon and building my own Les Paul around it. What do you folks think?

post-3530-080064500 1304476970_thumb.jpg

I have seen something like this from a thread here recently, with a link to a company who makes these for sale.

I personally think they are cool. I always think anything is cool that lets someone get thier hands into some work for a project for fun.

But I think it is important for someone who gets these things to realize and be sure what they are getting and not be misled. Some of these may have veneer for the top, and regardless of being a "real" Gibson or not, there will be some difference between these and the guitars they were meant to replicate. For example, in the example with the link to a company who makes them, the person thought they were more accurate than what Gibson is making. The stuff I saw had differences in body shape and construction that were so different to a real one I would be able to tell from a distance in a room.

Nothing wrong with them, just so long as a person knows what they are getting. It is hard to tell too much from the pic. It looks like it could be a fun project that could make a good guitar.

Are the pup cavities for p-90s? :blink: They look very long.

I think they might be. The guy has other bodies with cavities for regular humbuckers though. I just happened to choose the one picture with the wrong type of cavities.

I have seen something like this from a thread here recently, with a link to a company who makes these for sale.

I personally think they are cool. I always think anything is cool that lets someone get thier hands into some work for a project for fun.

But I think it is important for someone who gets these things to realize and be sure what they are getting and not be misled. Some of these may have veneer for the top, and regardless of being a "real" Gibson or not, there will be some difference between these and the guitars they were meant to replicate. For example, in the example with the link to a company who makes them, the person thought they were more accurate than what Gibson is making. The stuff I saw had differences in body shape and construction that were so different to a real one I would be able to tell from a distance in a room.

Nothing wrong with them, just so long as a person knows what they are getting. It is hard to tell too much from the pic. It looks like it could be a fun project that could make a good guitar.

post-3530-080272500 1304478446_thumb.jpg

Now how come the picture is to big to upload unless I make it that small. You can't even really tell anything about the guitar when it's that size. That's bull!msp_cursing.gif

YEA!! I wanted to see it too. I love strats.

I always thought there was something cool about natural strats with the old style single ply guard in black.

YEA!! I wanted to see it too. I love strats.

I always thought there was something cool about natural strats with the old style single ply guard in black.

I'll try to find a way to put a bigger image up in a bit. My strat is so brilliant! The pickguard on mine isn't actually single ply though. It's triple ply with black/red/black. The red line looks F'ing sweet! msp_thumbup.gif

Archived