Gibson Brands Forums

sg and studio

rotem

Are you comparing the SG to a Les Paul Studio? I think there is a big difference! The Les Paul Studio has no binding around the fretboard, and has a chambered body (it is almost entirely hollowed out). The only real things they have in common are mahogany bodies and necks and the trapezoid inlays and the 490r / 498t pickups. They sound a little different too. Oh, and the SG may not balance right, meaning you might get one that has "neck dive", where when using a strap or sitting on your knee the guitar feels neck-heavy and you have to constantly support the neck. But, to the SG's advantage.....they are light weight, comfortable guitars and they have unmatched access to the entire fretboard! If you are considering purchasing either of these guitars, you need to go play a few models of each. I went to the store with full intent to buy an SG Standard......but came home with a NICE Les Paul Studio instead! :D

My LP Studio is a 2009 Wine Red / Gold Hardware model. BEAUTIFUL guitar. This color and hardware option will leave you stunned, and not missing the binding on the body and neck of the higher-priced LP's :P Of course, for half the price of the studio with the glossy finish, the faded models are not too bad either. But you are buying a Gibson, a REAL guitar. So why not buy a guitar with a REAL finish? LOL. Good luck, happy shopping!!!

My LP Studio is a 2009 Wine Red / Gold Hardware model. BEAUTIFUL guitar. This color and hardware option will leave you stunned, and not missing the binding on the body and neck of the higher-priced LP's :P Of course, for half the price of the studio with the glossy finish, the faded models are not too bad either. But you are buying a Gibson, a REAL guitar. So why not buy a guitar with a REAL finish? LOL. Good luck, happy shopping!!!

thanks just bought one wine red you were right its beautiful love it!

Archived