Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone like to cook?

daveinspain

WICKED KILLER BAKED BEANS

(Beans that will even make Chili Heads happy)

6‐8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2" pieces

1/2 Medium Onion Diced

1/2 Bell Pepper diced

1-2 Jalapeno Peppers diced (seeding will remove some of the heat)

1 55oz can of Bush's Baked Beans

1 8oz can of Pineapple Chunks

1 Cup Brown Sugar

1 Cup ketchup

1/2-1 Tbsp of Ground Dry Mustard

Sauté bacon pieces in fry pan until crispy and remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Sauté onion, bell

pepper

In pieces dry, add additional ketchup 1/4 ‐1/2 cup at a time)

Place in a 220‐250° smoker for 2 1/2 – 3 hours (make sure temperature of the baked beans reaches 160°)

or place in a 350° oven and bake for 1 hour.

DISCLAIMER

CAUTION

With the Jalapeño pepper and the dry mustard these beans have the potential for some MAJOR heat.

To make this recipe family friendly omit the Jalapeno's.

Cooking is BIG at our house - here's 2 of our favorite artichoke recipes -

"Carciofi Ripene" (Stuffed Artichokes)

2 medium globe artichokes

1/2 medium onion, minced very fine

1-1/2 cup italian style breadcrumbs (I like Progresso, but also make my own when we have left over home baked bread)

1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese

2-3 cloves fresh garlic minced very fine

salt and pepper to taste

Oregano and Basil to taste

olive oil

Melted butter for dipping (optional)

Prep artichokes as mentioned in several previous posts removing all sharp spikes with scissors - Flatten and open as previously described. With a grapefruit spoon or tablespoon dig out the "Choke" - the spikey inside pulp that resides above the heart. Place the prepared artichokes in a bowl of cold water spiked with 1/2 cup lemon juice to prevent the cut areas from darkening while you prepare the stuffing.

Combine all dry stuffing ingredients onion and garlic and cheese, season with the herbs and add just enough olive oil to make a nice halfway moist mixture - sorta like sandcastle sand - not wet but not really dry. Taste the stuffing and adjust your seasoning. Drain the artichokes on a paper towel then, using a teaspoon, starting from the inside leaves, open the leaves and spoon a bit of the stuffing between them - Fill up the cavity created byt removing the choke earlier. Continue working your way to the outer leaves until all the leaves ( Or most of them) have the savory stuffing between them. When finished drizzle a bit of olive oil on top of the artichokes. If you have a steamer it is the ideal pot - Places the Chokes in the steamer basket, cover and steam over medium heat for 45 min - 1 hour - cooking time will depend on size and tenderness of the artichokes, When the outer leaves pull out easily they're done.

IMPORTANT!! make sure you don't boil the steamer dry! this will result in a stinky burnt flavor!

Alternatively place the artichokes in a heavy pot and add an inch of water and cook at a slow boil/simmer covered until done - again, check the pot occasionally to make sure you always have plenty of liquid.

Melt a bit of butter to dip the stuffing coated leaves in and strip the stuffing and artichoke paste off as you would with non-stuffed artichokes and enjoy with a big salad and a glass of good red wine. When you reach the heart you're in for a treat - it's the best dipped in butter!

2. "Carciofi Fritte" (Fried artichoke hearts)

1 package FROZEN artichoke hearts - Canned hearts will always bear a tinny flavor from soaking in the juice in the can - frozen are the only way to go!

all-purpose flour seasoned with salt and pepper

Italian style breadcrumbs with some grated Parmesan cheese and additional oregano and basil added and mixed well. Panko crumbs are good too but you have to really sex them up with herbs and cheese to get a great flavor out of them!

2 eggs beaten well with a bit of milk added

Plenty of olive oil for frying

Remove the hearts from their packaging and steam or simmer the hearts in water for 8-10 minutes - Don't overcook them as they tend to get tough... Drain and cool for a few minutes.

Dredge the cooled hearts in the seasoned flour and shake all excess flour off.

Dip the floured hearts in the beaten egg/milk mixture then into the flavored breadcrumb mixture, coating the hearts well. The "Shake N Bake" method works well here also - Place the breadcrumb mixture in a zip=loc and drop the egg coated hearts in, zip shut and roll around to coat.

Next is optional but I always do it - Place the breaded hearts on a plate and refrigerate for 1/2 hr - this helps the breading to stick and it won't come off when you fry the hearts.

In a heavy bottomed pan (non-stick works fine) heat a good quantity of olive oil - 1/4 to 1/2" deep - to medium heat until a bit of the breading dropped in the oil sizzles slightly - If the oil is smoking it's way too hot - I cook mine on "6" of our flattop electric, but that's just a guide. Ease the breaded hearts into the hot oil and cook a couple of minutes, then turn them with tongs - The breading should be light golden brown on all sides as Grandma Valery liked to say "til they just-a niiice!" - The hearts are actually precooked, so all we're looking for is the crisp golden breading...Remove the hearts to paper towel and season with additional salt and pepper. Enjoy while hot with salad bread and your choice of beverage. One tip - I prefer my salad with a simple olive oil and vinegar dressing - The hot hearts are delicious when dipped in the salad oil, or even added to the salad and eaten that way.

Both simple ( If not fast) recipes for some Italian Soul Food! Enjoy!

Bob

Here's one for the bakers among you

Pizza Con Scarole

With all the hubbub at Pizza Glut and Dungminoes about stuffed crust this deep dish that you’d think that this was something new. Grandma used to make this once in a while and it never made it to the table – The vultures would be waiting at the stove for it to come out of the oven. I actually remember one good natured fistfight between Frankie Vona, my 1st cousin and Tony Grasso, Frankie’s best buddy, over the last piece of this treasure. Grandpa followed the fight around the house and if the opponents got out of breath or stopped for a minute due to laughter Grandpa would give them a poke in the ribs with his cane and tell them they fought like “faggiolinis” which literally means “String Bean” but in this case the idom meant something quite different. Well that only made them laugh harder and they’d collapse in the living room. Meanwhile, I snagged the last piece and ran out into the backyard before they found out.

Filling:

2 large heads of Escarole

1/2 cup olive oil

Salt & Pepper to taste

1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano

1 cup ( More or Less) canned or fresh tomatoes

Wash the escarole and chop in small pieces – drain in a colander for a few minutes and then squeeze out the excess water that remains.. Add salt & pepper, oil, cheese and tomatoes and mix well.

Dough – If you have a favorite recipe use yours by all means, If you’d like to try mine here it is:

1 packet active yeast ( Check the exp. Date!)

1 cup warm water

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon salt

2 Tablespoons olive oil

3 cups (approx) Tipo 00 semolina pizza flour if available, If not any good bread flour does great!

Dissolve the sugar in the warm water and cream the yeast – cover and let it come to life. Add 2 cups of the flour, salt and oil and mix well. Add the remaining flour a little at a time til the dough cleans the bowl. Knead on a floured surface until smooth – 8-10 minutes. Tuck the dough under to make a dome and place in an oiled bowl, oil the top of the dough lightly, cover and place in a warm draft free place until doubled. We use our dehydrator to rise the dough quicker - place in a oiled bowl with a snap on cover and put in the dehydrator set on Low - doubles in 30 minutes or less!!

Punch down and roll out onto a floured surface. Divide into equal parts (2) Pat one out and place in the bottom of a oiled pyrex pie dish or a casserole dish – cover and set aside to rise for a few minutes. Pat the other portion out to make the top crust cover with a damp towel..

Fill the bottom crust with the ‘Scarole mixture, and at this point you can sort of wing it – add a bit more Romano in the form of long thin slices, or some sharp Provolone, dust with red pepper – whatever suits your fancy. Cover with the top crust and seal around the edge – slash in a few places for vents. Bake in a 350 deg F oven for 45 minutes to an hour or until golden brown. Serve hot or cold cut in wedges like a fruit pie.

You'll never look at Pizza Hut the same way again....trust me.

Bob

Archived