Golden Earring - Radar Love

Pink Floyd - Money

Dream Theater - Beyond This Life

Liquid Tension Experiment - When the water Breaks

Yngwie Malmsteen - Black Star

Steve Vai - I know your here

The Beatles - And I love her

Joe Satriani - Satch Boogie

So those are just some, a lot of these artists have many other songs that fit the bill, these are just some worth checking out. Pretty much common place with a lot of the prog rock, melodic rock even into melodic metal.

I think a lot depends on one's definition of a "rock" song.

A lotta Roy Orbison's material simply slaughtered traditional songwriting in terms of form. There was a lotta other experimental stuff in the '60s as well as pop influence got into even some pretty "rocky" material.

That has continued, albeit perhaps less obviously other than in chord progressions.

So in ways ... I dunno how one marks the difference between "pop" and "rock" once one gets beyond one to three-chord blues progressions.

m

Van Halen - Pretty Women?-)

Y'know...

Maybe I should start a whole 'nother thread on this, but one thing I've noticed is that we're talking about a specific band/artist rather than the song. And this is "diverse rock songs" for a thread title.

I think that sez something about "rock" for the past 40 years or so.

In most other genres, country, bluegrass, "standards," etc., if one asks about a song, generally it's the song itself rather than just one artist. Even the inebriated lady in the small town saloon screeching, "Play Proud Mary," is asking for the tune, the lyric and the beat, not a specific arrangment. (I always wanted to come back with a slow drag waltz time to the tune, but never had the courage. <chortle>)

"Blue Moon" was done by about everybody back in the 50s and early 60s in about any sub-style of pop, jazz and rock you could imagine. Ditto the 1939 #1 hit "Deep Purple" that was even doo-wopped in the 50s. Ditto dozens of country songs, although some country bands tried hard to duplicate a feel of the original. Most didn't.

The song was the thing and it was a matter of different artists' "version" of a song rather than a "cover" that attempts to pretty much copy THE artist/band that did it.

Now? I "listen" to the young guys on here and it seems they feel they have two basic choices in music: Write their own or try to copy somebody else.

Songs? Ahhhhh, who cares. We'll download a vid or mp3 or come as close to a "cover" as possible to the original.

... Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "new" rock from the past 40 years is not good - just that it's not the song, it's the sound of the song from a specific recording that seems to be the big deal.

m

Archived