Gibson Brands Forums

non gibson question,please help.

jakatone

this is actually a fender question,but i got no response in the fender forum,so i´ll try here.i guess that a ot of you guys own fenders aswell.i am about to buy a strange telecaster,i only saw a couple of pics.it´s supposed to be made out of mahogany and has 2 SD p 90´s.the peghead says fender hot tele and the serial number is F 354665,so according to fender,it was made around 1973 but guitars from that period had their serial numbers written on the neck plate.it also says made in USA.i have no idea what to think,i coudn´t find any information on the internet.so anyone who knows something,please help,do you think it´s a fake?

here are the pics http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj255/jaka984/action=view&current=head.jpg http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj255/jaka984/?action=view&current=totalback.jpg

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj255/jaka984/?action=view&current=total.jpg

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj255/jaka984/?action=view&current=persp1.jpg

Hi, jakatone!

That is a pretty guitar! <g>

I think you're correct about the serial number being on the neckplate, rather than on the headstock...IF this was made in the USA. I don't think it is a fake. Rather, I think it is a Japanese Fender Telecaster. Judging by the serial number, it was probably made in 1986-1987.

Hope this helps!

Cat Daddy

Hi, jakatone!

Your first photobucket link is incorrect...it should have a ? in front of action. <g>

The photo of the headstock in head.jpg does indeed say "Made in USA" . I wonder if it refers to the city of Usa, Japan....rather than the U.S.A. ?

Cat Daddy

Hi' date=' jakatone!

Your first photobucket link is incorrect...it should have a ? in front of action. <g>

The photo of the headstock in head.jpg does indeed say "Made in USA" . I wonder if it refers to the city of Usa, Japan....rather than the U.S.A. ?

Cat Daddy[/quote']

cat daddy,thanks

you see my dilemma:) the guy told me that a seaman bought it in the states as a rare telecaster and payed some big bucks for it.the problem is with the serial number,i tried to write to fender a couple of times but got nothing.and the tuners are schaller,as far as i know,american telecasters had klusons.....and the japanese had schaller.the problem is,i am just about to trade my studio VM for this,and i wouldn´t want to get a fake one....but all thongs concerning,this one doesn´t look like a fake.

Hey Jakatone--

Here is where anyone should stop to find out all things relating to Telecasters:

Telcaster Discussion Page Forum

Those folks know more about Telecasters probably than even Fender does. Half of them seem to build them from the ground up on their own, and between the major posters on that forum, they've probably owned almost every model of Tele ever made, foreign or domestic.

My instinct is that something doesn't look right in your pictures, but visit the forum above. They will know for sure.

Hope this helps!

Ignatius

Hey Jakatone--

Here is where anyone should stop to find out all things relating to Telecasters:

Telcaster Discussion Page Forum

Those folks know more about Telecasters probably than even Fender does. Half of them seem to build them from the ground up on their own' date=' and between the major posters on that forum, they've probably owned almost every model of Tele ever made, foreign or domestic.

My instinct is that something doesn't look right in your pictures, but visit the forum above. They will know for sure.

Hope this helps!

Ignatius[/quote']

thanks Ignatius,i just wrote a post over there,so i guess i´ll just have to wait.it would be great if it really is an original,because it is really one of a kind,i never did see anything like it,at least not from fender.but the serial number issue kind of puts me off.

Couldn't find your post following the link jakatone but to me it looks like a fake, at least the decals on the headstock are, the Fender logo has never looked like that, the waterslide job is shoddy at best, also the string trees are like the ones on Squiers...

Archived