Gibson Brands Forums

ES-5 Switchmaster Strap Button

eillekeillek

Hi everyone, I am new here, but not new to Gibsons as I have several in my collection gathered over the years.

Anyway I have a specific request, I have just purchased a 2003 ES 5 Switchmaster and find that it only has a strap button on the end of the body and not any button at the neck heal area. I guess this is due to the intention being that a player uses the rear button and then a cord around the head stock. I hate this.

has anyone had the same issue and fitted a neck/heal button and where did they position it, I dont want to go rushing around with my drill willy nilly !!:-k

I hope to hear from someone

kind regards

Kevin

Helpful link. Do yourself a favor and go to the link for Frank Ford from Gryphon Guitars. He's the guy who designs gadgets for Luthier's Mercantile International, kind of a counterpart to Dan Erlewine's involvement with Stewart MacDonald. for what it's worth I prefer the neck heel location that Ford recommends, where the guitar body is thick it won't lean forward as much with the strap on this location. If you put the screw into the very end of the heel, through the heel cap, then it may lean forward fromt the strap with the fingerboard leaning away from you. Also, I'd be a little more concerned that there's less wood grain supporting the strap pin and some chance of splitting there. But honestly, if you like it on the heel cap, then plenty of guys like L5Larry have had good results there, too.

Thank you Peeps one and all.

I have read through the thread and am now reaching for my sledge hammer and nails, I will report back on the degree of success later !!!!=D>

I think the neck heel will be best suited as it has a cover plate, but the balance may not be that good as I do use frets above 12 frequentlly.

Thanks

eillekeillek

Archived