Gibson Brands Forums

Last Lesson

Oopssorryy

Go for the theory. Theory eluded me... (or did I elude it?) for years. Theory is the stepping stone to greater things. Learn the theory. You can apply it to ANYTHING, including Soul.

Being a guitar tutor I will tell you this:

It depends on how much you learnt with your previous teacher.

If you learnt a lot you should stay on your own for a while. That way you can elaborate on what you have learned from your perspective: your influences, how you feel about guitar, what's more important to you (rhythm, lead, advanced harmony, whatever).

At this stage, getting another teacher will probably prevent you from developing your own style.

You should focus on this and this alone: developing your own style.

Some might say it's not good for business (for me) to say this but I've actually told a couple of pupils just that: you've reached a point where you gotta develop YOUR STYLE. Go, do it, if you need help in any way you can find me on facebook, msn, or the phone or you can come here and spend an hour or two talking about whatever is giving you trouble. When your style starts asking you for new stuff to ad to it, come back and we'll be able to do lots more stuff.

All of the students I've told this that have accepted it and gone, have come back less than a year later, and they have become better players than most that kept coming for theory/general music lessons after being told this.

Now, if you didn't learn enough with the previous teacher where you feel you can stay on your own for a while, you'd do good in finding a new one.

IMO it falls into five categories

1. You need private lessons for motivation

2. You don't need private lessons because one has the ability to motivate him or herself

3. One can teach

4. One cannot teach

5. collaboration

The hardest thing to see is the faults in your own playing.

Unless your me, I pick apart my own playing quite a bit. I could go on for a good minute on the mistakes I need to fix and what I'm doing wrong.

I get what your saying, that I can't go threw my guitar life with one teacher, and that just about anyone can teach me something. My guitar teacher told me something like that as his last bit of wisdom. Tod me to never get a big head, as the nicer you are to guitarist, the more you'll learn from them. No matter if they are beginners or masters, everybody knows something you don't. I've thought a lot about the theory teacher, and I thin it's a good idea, as a lot of theory goes over my head. But at the same time piano teachers run in my family, and I might learn theory (an piano, God willing) from them. I just don't like the thought of making my guitar into a science, as in my mind music can be explained by it, but never made by it.

Don't forget your fellow forumites for knowledge too. I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that would be willing to share all the knowledge they have on theory and playing in general. I know I would be happy to answer any questions and would also be interested in how others might explain the same concept. In fact I think I might try a theory thread and see how it goes. :-k

Andy

I saw your post on theory, I could quite get my head around it, but I'm going to try to read it again to get a better grasp on it. Thank you a ton on that thread, there's a lot of info there.

Being a guitar tutor I will tell you this:

It depends on how much you learnt with your previous teacher.

If you learnt a lot you should stay on your own for a while. That way you can elaborate on what you have learned from your perspective: your influences, how you feel about guitar, what's more important to you (rhythm, lead, advanced harmony, whatever).

At this stage, getting another teacher will probably prevent you from developing your own style.

You should focus on this and this alone: developing your own style.

Some might say it's not good for business (for me) to say this but I've actually told a couple of pupils just that: you've reached a point where you gotta develop YOUR STYLE. Go, do it, if you need help in any way you can find me on facebook, msn, or the phone or you can come here and spend an hour or two talking about whatever is giving you trouble. When your style starts asking you for new stuff to ad to it, come back and we'll be able to do lots more stuff.

All of the students I've told this that have accepted it and gone, have come back less than a year later, and they have become better players than most that kept coming for theory/general music lessons after being told this.

Now, if you didn't learn enough with the previous teacher where you feel you can stay on your own for a while, you'd do good in finding a new one.

My old teacher thinks i should get a band for a while before I get back to lessons. Maybe this was what he was getting at.... I hold myself up to his (my old guitar teacher) level of playing, and I don't feel like I'm even close. He put out a cd and every time I listen to it I hear things he had to teach. I would enjoy asking for help when the time arrives, as I hate being in a rut with guitar.

Archived