Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson L50

BlondieL50

I am happy to say that I finally picked up my husband's grandpa's L50. It is from around 1943 because it has the "40s" logo and the pick guard does not have the white border which they started using in 1945. The restorer at Cream City Music in Milwaukee, Luthier Ron Jones, did a great job. He left the finish alone (because it has a sentimental history). He refretted it and repaired the deeply worn fingerboard and the adjusted neck is beautiful again. He repaired a small crack on the front of the instument. I don't play very well and when I do play I use my 3/4 size Epiphone that my parents bought me in the 60s. I didn't want to play it in the shop when I picked it up because I don't play very well. i wasn't sure about not refinishing it.... Ron told me that refinishing it would negatively affect the sound. A man picking a guitar at the counter also agreed with him. When I got home however I had to play it a little. It is really, really easy to play and sounds simply beautiful. The plan was to take it to California for my son to play with until my grandson starts school. He is going to be 1 year old the end of this month. It was such a pleasure however I think I have to keep it in my house until Christmas. I wish I could play it forever but it really does belong to my son and grandson.

Here is the story. Grandpa Nick came to Milwaukee from Greece via New York the same time that the Titanic went down. He always said they heard the music playing on the Titanic but no one believed him. A couple years ago a cousin did some research and his ship actually was one of the rescue ships. Eventually in the 30s during prohabition he opened an ice cream shop on 6th and National in Milwaukee. After prohabition he changed it to the Streamliner cafe and Little Nicks nightclub (connected by a hallway). People from Milwaukee and Chicago (the train also named the Streamliner, from Chicago would stop closeby)would gather at his club. He had live music on a little stage and people partied and danced. I am told it was a fun place to go. This was the guitar that was used in the band. It was heavily played until the 50s when the nightclub closed. It found it's way to my husband's basement. In the 70s it went to Madison with my husband and he tried to learn to play. We replaced the tuners with some used Grovers and I played it a little but there was no end pin to attach a strap and my finger were too short and it buzzed. It moved to Rhineland and eventually to our basement in Milwaukee until last December when I thought about refinishing it for our baby grandson in California.

I talked to you guys and customer service at Gibson. I ended up finding a very trusted luthier, Ron, and he got to work. We discussed the refinish but in the end he said it was best left as is. I spoke to my son who plays the cello and he agreed. I am so happy I left the nicks (no pun intended) and scratches. I hope my grandson enjoys it as much as I have the past day. My son will explain to him how he ended up with his great, great grandpa Nick's Gibson L50. When I think of the times we almost "junked" it! I think the L50 must have been a big old workhorse. It is heavy and sturdy. It was never "baby'd". It has survived basement floods and neglect. My guess is it was heavily played probably under the influence a couple times...and yet it survived to play on better than ever for another generation.

Thank you Gibson Company for building such a sturdy guitar.

[thumbup] Linda (Blondie L50)

Archived