Gibson Brands Forums

ES 335 - Differant models, same specs?

71Darkhorse

Hey there everybody!

I’d like to ask a question with regards to the various ES 335 ‘1959’ models if I may? This question is really going to test your product knowledge, cause I’m a big Gibson enthusiast and I’m stumped despite thorough research.

I’ve just purchased a brand new ES 335 59 dot reissue. It was made at the Tennessee custom shop and is a very fine example. Seriously, this guitar is just wonderful and it’s a credit to the Gibson company and all involved in its construction.

I paid a fortune for this guitar because it was a Tennessee made version but I’m happy with the result. She’ll last me a lifetime.

My question is thus –

What’s the ‘specification’ differences (not manufacture location differences) between:

A. Gibson ES 335 Dot Fat Neck (Memphis made I think)

B. Gibson custom shop 50th anniversary 1959 ES 335 Dot Reissue (Memphis made I think)

C. Gibson 1959 ES 335 Dot (Tennessee made and most expensive version)

Now . . . . from the information I’ve gleaned, all three models boast the following specs –

• 57 classic humbuckers

• ABR-1 bridge, and a lightweight aluminum stop bar tailpiece

• one-piece mahogany supporting a 22-fret rosewood fingerboard

• Dot inlays

• vintage tulip shaped tuners

• solid maple center block

• 59 rounded neck profile

• Long neck tenon

• Long 59 style pick guard

• custom shop reissue case, certificate of authenticity

• (Do they all have Nitro finishes?)

Additional similarities between the 50th anniversary and Tennessee made versions are –

• CTS volume and tone potentiometers with “bumble bee” capacitors

• VOS or Gloss finishes available in each

Have I missed anything here?

So . . . . . . whilst there are a couple of differences between the ‘Fat Neck’ version and the other two, I can’t distinguish any specification differences between the 50th anniversary and Tennessee made versions. However, there’s a substantial price difference between them.

As stated earlier, I have the Tennessee made version. Whilst I’m thrilled with it, can you please tell me what have I paid the price premium for?

Thanks everybody

Richard

Hey there everybody!

I’d like to ask a question with regards to the various ES 335 ‘1959’ models if I may? This question is really going to test your product knowledge, cause I’m a big Gibson enthusiast and I’m stumped despite thorough research.

I’ve just purchased a brand new ES 335 59 dot reissue. It was made at the Tennessee custom shop and is a very fine example. Seriously, this guitar is just wonderful and it’s a credit to the Gibson company and all involved in its construction.

I paid a fortune for this guitar because it was a Tennessee made version but I’m happy with the result. She’ll last me a lifetime.

My question is thus –

What’s the ‘specification’ differences (not manufacture location differences) between:

A. Gibson ES 335 Dot Fat Neck (Memphis made I think)

B. Gibson custom shop 50th anniversary 1959 ES 335 Dot Reissue (Memphis made I think)

C. Gibson 1959 ES 335 Dot (Tennessee made and most expensive version)

Now . . . . from the information I’ve gleaned, all three models boast the following specs –

• 57 classic humbuckers

• ABR-1 bridge, and a lightweight aluminum stop bar tailpiece

• one-piece mahogany supporting a 22-fret rosewood fingerboard

• Dot inlays

• vintage tulip shaped tuners

• solid maple center block

• 59 rounded neck profile

• Long neck tenon

• Long 59 style pick guard

• custom shop reissue case, certificate of authenticity

• (Do they all have Nitro finishes?)

Additional similarities between the 50th anniversary and Tennessee made versions are –

• CTS volume and tone potentiometers with “bumble bee” capacitors

• VOS or Gloss finishes available in each

Have I missed anything here?

So . . . . . . whilst there are a couple of differences between the ‘Fat Neck’ version and the other two, I can’t distinguish any specification differences between the 50th anniversary and Tennessee made versions. However, there’s a substantial price difference between them.

As stated earlier, I have the Tennessee made version. Whilst I’m thrilled with it, can you please tell me what have I paid the price premium for?

Thanks everybody

Richard

Best of luck. I posted a similar question hours ago, and so far no luck. I'm going to call Gibson tomorrow and save myself the aggrivation of waiting for maybe replies.

Thanks everybody

Richard

I hate to tell you, but the last time I looked on the map, both Memphis and Nashville were in Tennessee.

Good luck getting a definitive answer out of Gibson on this one! I, too, paid a premium for a Nashville-built '59 Historic, and it is a spectacular guitar in the wood selection (a near-black fretboard against a flawless cherry finish) and construction details. It also suffers none of the perceived component alignment issues that show up repeatedly on this forum with regard to Memphis-built ES 335's.

I'm not sure if the Nashville shop is even building Historic ES 335's now. The Gibson website certainly doesn't point out the fact, and the only ES 335 currently listed on their site that seems likely to be Nashville-built is a '63 listed at about $6900. Of course, there are still dealers around that have NOS Historics, but they are becoming fewer.

On the plus side, the Nashville-built Historics, due to their relatively low production runs and the mystique around them, are likely to hold their long-term value better than their Memphis-built analogues. I'll leave others to judge how much better the really are, but I can say mine is a great one, and I'm glad I spent the extra money.

I hate to tell you, but the last time I looked on the map, both Memphis and Nashville were in Tennessee.

Good luck getting a definitive answer out of Gibson on this one! I, too, paid a premium for a Nashville-built '59 Historic, and it is a spectacular guitar in the wood selection (a near-black fretboard against a flawless cherry finish) and construction details. It also suffers none of the perceived component alignment issues that show up repeatedly on this forum with regard to Memphis-built ES 335's.

I'm not sure if the Nashville shop is even building Historic ES 335's now. The Gibson website certainly doesn't point out the fact, and the only ES 335 currently listed on their site that seems likely to be Nashville-built is a '63 listed at about $6900. Of course, there are still dealers around that have NOS Historics, but they are becoming fewer.

On the plus side, the Nashville-built Historics, due to their relatively low production runs and the mystique around them, are likely to hold their long-term value better than their Memphis-built analogues. I'll leave others to judge how much better the really are, but I can say mine is a great one, and I'm glad I spent the extra money.

Hey J4nick,

Sorry, i feel like an idiot now. Of course Memphis and Nashville are in Tennessee!! :-) I meant to state 'the differance between Nashville and Memphis made guitars'.

I'm Australian and live in Melbourne. Got my geography mixed up!

Thanks for your response anyway.

Yeah, they still do make 335's out of Nashville; but in limited supply. They are currently doing the 63 335 version.

Interestingly enough, i have an ebony 59 VOS version (Nashville) which was made this year. It was a special order from a New York guitar store. It's sweeeeeet baby!

That cherry with dark wood fretboard version sounds very nice indeed too.

Let's see if anybody else can shed some light on the differances between the models?

Cheers!

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, in the absence of much response here from other members, i'll add to my own post by providing useful information that i've since found out about the differences. ](*,)

I can confirm that my Nashville made ES 335 has a solid centre block whilst my Memphis made 355 has a substantial piece of the centre block routed out around the pick up area.

I also know that, whilst the two have the 'long neck joint tenon', the Nashville made 335 has a long and 'thicker' neck tenon.

Whether these differences contribute to tonal qualities is another debate. I couldn't say, cause it's clearly obvious that my 355 had hotter pickups installed at the factory. This contributes to tone differences between the two substantially.

The Nashville made version has thinner binding up the neck too.

There ya go O:)

http://33511001.jpg

I have owned several 335s since 1973.

After staying away from them for the last few years, I recently went shopping for a new 335.

I played Historics, Fat Necks, Blocks, Figured Dots, Plain Dots.

In the end, I came home with a new ES335 Figured Dot. Simply because if was the best of all the guitars I played (IMHO).

In fact, I was impressed with most of the new 335s I played.

For whatever reason, the 335s coming from Gibson seem to be much more consistent these days and the fit and finish, especially on mine, is spectacular

That sure is a fine looking specimen Dogspart2; gorgeous vintage cherry finish . . . . . . timeless.

I'd agree with you that the best way to decide is to simply sit down and play them ignoring all marketing hype. The one that feels right in your hands is always the best choice.

Here's a pic of my new baby

post-1001-044214400 1309736248_thumb.jpg

Sort of off/on topic, but amusing, I think??? I recently (a week ago) got my hands on an ES-335 that serial number provided the following info....while it was NOT made in Memphis, it was only the #5 out of the Nashville Custom Shop. Like Johnny Cash said "get you a car that was built on WEDNESDAY" ... [thumbup]

I don't know if it would be better to get the 5th to the last of the run before they shut down the plant, or in the first 5 they made out of their new home. I can say, that based on all factors, there might have been a little 'poppin the top' in Memphis, and after the first two or three ran out of the custom shop in the new 'digs' they might have been gettin' it right, and feeling good about their new 'Custom Shop' and their (inherent) big raises for making the move!

(A lotta hhmmmmm there, eh?)

Hey fish!

I don't get it mate . . . . whats the story of the custom shop relocation? As in 'when' and why' did they relocate? Very interested

In looking at the why when and where re MY ES335, I had (email) conversations with Jon, CS at Gibson. He told me that Gibson’s Nashville plant was opened in Tennessee 1974, and at that plant they produced about 220 guitars per day. HOWEVER, until '84, Semi-hollow and Hollow-bodied guitars were made in Memphis, (and in the Custom Shop if you ordered a special finish, ie, Heritage Cherry Burst). Gibson decided to move this operation to Nashville, and in '84 they did exactly that. If you contact Gibson Customer Service, they can tell by the serial number where your guitar was made, and which number of the day it was. Mine was the 5th ES 335, on that day of production.

From a Gibson forum post: -

In 1977, Gibson introduced the serialization method that we primarily use to this day at Gibson USA, Gibson Acoustic, and the Gibson Custom facility in Memphis, TN.

The serial number will be an 8 digit number impressed into the back of the headstock with "MADE IN USA" below.

The pattern is as follows:

YDDDYRRR

YY is the production year

DDD is the day of the year

RRR is the factory ranking/plant designation number.

Prior to 1984 when the Kalamazoo, MI factory was closed, the numbers 001-499 indicated Kalamazoo production. Ranking numbers 500-999 continued to indicate Nashville production through 1989.

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

December 14th, 1984

Production Number: 5

Gibson: Nashville

Gibson’s Nashville plant was opened in Tennessee 1974. All electric models and some acoustic models currently made at this factory. This facility has an average production rate of 220 guitars a day. Each guitar is built by hand and takes about 4 to 6 weeks to complete. Note: Most hollow and semi-hallow body guitars are made at a separate plant in Memphis Tennessee. This facility has an average production rate of 40 guitars a day.

He sent me this, which I found interesting:

Thanks for the reply(and VERY nice 335)!! The serial number is consistent with a model made on the 348th day of 1984 in Nashville, TN. The ES-335 model was only available in Ebony and Cherry finishes in standard production. However, it was available as a custom order in Antique Natural, Vintage Sunburst, and Heritage Cherry Sunburst finishes. The pickups, being original, are indeed be the Tim Shaw designed “Patent Applied For” humbuckers. I have attached information on the model for your viewing. Thanks again!!

Jon Sutherland

Gibson Customer Service

1-800-4GIBSON

its just data, but I found it interesting.

post-34222-003742000 1309804245_thumb.jpg

Archived