Gibson Brands Forums

??? ES175 Tin Cans ???

lakehaus

Does anyone know where to find those tin shielding canisters for Gibson hollowbodies? I tried all the places that Gibson recommended (WD, etc). Google search has been fruitless.

I have a '71 ES-175 that is missing one can. eBay had a couple harnesses on auction with the cans - I was outbid on one, and the other is too expensive for the ONE tin can I need. I thought about buying the harness, taking the can, and re-selling the rest, but I don't think it's worth the hassle or expense. So, that said - back to my original question - Does anyone know where to find those tin shielding canisters for Gibson hollowbodies? Any help will be appreciated. My email is tidalsurge@cox.net

What exactly are the tin shielding canisters you are talking about? What is their function?

Function? Good question... I don't know. Maybe something to do with isolation and protection from electro-magnetic fields generated by the pups... the jack has one too.

A picture (or two) is worth a thousand words - so I included a couple of my harness. You can see that one can is missing.

IMG_6512-1.jpg

IMG_6513-1.jpg

IMG_6511-1.jpg

Anybody familiar enough with the Mauser catalog to be able to find something like this? Unfortunately their online search engine isn't very helpful unless you're very well versed in electronics.

I understand the desire to restore the instrument, but it probably isn't necessary. The pot shell itself is connected to ground so it will act as a shield, and the wires in between the pots are shielded. If all the wires were plain instead of coaxial, you have a problem picking up 60 cylcle hum from nearby lamps (especially flourescent fixtures and old style CRT televisions) - the same "hum" that "hum-buckers" is meant to get rid of. I'm not sure there's much potential for picking up 60 cycle hum just from the lugs on the pots and short pieces of unshielded wire there. Seems like attention to quality and detail just for the sake of it, almost a solution in search of a problem.

Thanks bobv - you know, before I removed the harness (to clean the pots and replace the broken one) I had no clue that there were cans surrounding the pots. And, I had no hum or funny noises (other than the scratchiness of dirty pots). I figured while the harness is out (and this will be the last time as long as I own the guitar), I may as well replace the missing can.

I'll try Mauser. If that proves fruitless, I give up. I'll clean the pots, replace the bad one, and replace as designed.

Cheers!

Archived