Gibson Brands Forums

Buying a new guitar

The Metallian

Hi there!

Now I got the money I need to buy me a new Gibson Les Paul Custom guitar. (Great feeling! [drool] )

I really like the golden hardware best, but I´m afraid that the golden colour

will turn something else after a while. What do you say?

Have you any experience from this?

Should I avoid golden hardware?

Or can I whipe it off and there will be no problem?

The Metallian

As long as you keep the guitar (and hardware) clean there will be no problem from tarnish. All that is needed is to wipe down the hardware with a good spray cleaner whenever you polish the guitar. DO NOT USE paste type polishes or rubbing compound for gold plating is very soft, and you can rub the gold right off (Yes, I have done it, twice).

That being said, the biggest culprit of damaged gold plating is case rub, hand rub and body chemicals. The affects of these will depend on your playing style and body chemistry.

I have three guitars with gold plated hardware of various ages, and in cycles, each of these guitars have received very much playing time. As a working musician they've spent a lot of time in the back of trucks, smokey bars and clubs, etc. These are "working" guitars, not display models. Here's a description of the condition of the gold plating:

1988 custom built Custom Shop Stratocaster (23 years old)- The plating on the bridge saddles where my hand lays across them is gone, due to hand rub and body chemistry.

1990 Gibson L-5CES (21 years old)- The gold plating on this guitar is in pristine condition. I use this guitar for big band jazz, and that playing style (with pickguard in place) has protected the gold plating from damage. It also came with a perfect fitting TKL case with "fuzzy" shroud, and there has been no case rub.

2000 Gibson ES-345 (11 years old)- I removed the pickguard for cosmetic (and ergonomic) reasons on this guitar. It seems I generally hook the ring and little fingers of my right hand around the bottom front corner of the bridge pickup when I play this guitar, and have rubbed the gold plating off in this area. The plating has been worn off the top of the stoptail studs due to case rub, and some of the bridge saddles show wear from hand rub.

All in all, I think the gold plating on all three of these guitars has held up VERY well.

• 1 month later...
Guest farnsbarns

For another perspective, If I play a guitar with gold hardware for a few weeks it'll be coming off all over the place. I avoid them.

• 1 month later...

Hi Metallian.

Of course the golden finish will be worn in time. But you are planning to buy a quality instrument and when this wear becomes visible on your gold ware your guitar will look used and well played in at the same time. Do not worry.

I have had cheaper instruments where the gold finish disappeared within a year.

kind regards from Denmark

Klaus

• 4 weeks later...

My 3 yr old LP Studio has gold hardware and it isn't tarnished or wearing off. Always wipe down your guitars after playing, including all metal hardware, and you won't have an issue for a long while. I have a 1983 Kramer Pacer with gold hardware....and overall it looks great. It has only worn off the gold on the saddle tops of the E, A, D string saddles of the original Floyd Rose. :) I did have one of those Epiphone Nighthawk Customs with gold parts, and it tarnished and turned green, then powdered up and rubbed off LOL, but that's cause it's crap! The "real" stuff hangs around much longer ;)

Archived