Gibson Brands Forums

electronics Q

UnityUnity

I don't know anything about the inside of guitars and I'm trying to change that, I want to just hook up the pickups to the jack with no tone pots first and try that.

Heres what I have now, the Red is the Neck pickup the thick black is the bridge and The grey is going from the toggle to the input jack

Help please!

thanks

post-30961-014195700 1308787536_thumb.jpg

The one step at a time approach? Good for you.

I want to just hook up the pickups to the jack with no tone pots first and try that.

No tone pots or No pots at all?

Basically you are keeping all your grounds contacted and eventually completed to the jack.

If you keep the hots labeled or color coded so that you can identify them....then....you can pretty much do what you want with them.

You do need to follow some sort of diagram, schematic or plan of where you want to end up.

Check this and see if it gives you any ideas (start at post #45)

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/67050-lp-redo/page__st__40

Willy

well I believe i have to have a master volume right? I just got the bridge pickup soldered to the volume and toggle but there was a lot of noise. I'm assuming this is because of all the loose wiring? What do I do with those If I'm not using them, Or should I just put another volume/potentiometer up to solder the wires on?

Hope I'm making sense

there was a lot of noise. I'm assuming this is because of all the loose wiring? What do I do with those If I'm not using them, Or should I just put another volume/potentiometer up to solder the wires on?

Hope I'm making sense

Not exactly easy to explain this stuff even with pictures.

If it was me I would be putting in an other volume pot. Other than that....I have no idea what sounds you are hearing.

I would also want to make sure my bridge ground wire was "grounded".

Willy

well I believe i have to have a master volume right?

What wiring diagram are you using?

Just out of curiosity, what is the reason you want to wire only volumes?

Why not just do a standard wiring and leave out the tone pots if that is what you are after?

Diagrams are available from:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

and from:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiring_resources_guitar_wiring_diagrams.2_pickup_guitar_wiring_diagrams/

The only changes from these diagrams would be that you might want to wire your grounds directly to the switch using shielded wire. The shielding would be your grounds. The actual inside wire would be your hots.

At the volume pot you would then need the wires from your pickup and the appropriate wire from the switch.

Hots go to the appropriate legs of the pots. Grounds get soldered to the back (along with the correct leg of the pot.)

Willy

I don't know anything about the inside of guitars and I'm trying to change that, I want to just hook up the pickups to the jack with no tone pots first and try that.

Heres what I have now, the Red is the Neck pickup the thick black is the bridge and The grey is going from the toggle to the input jack

Help please!

thanks

The usual wiring arrangement is:

Pickup----Tone-----Vol-----Switch*-----Output Jack

Pickup----Tone-----Vol-----Switch*----- "

* One switch for both pickups, and one output jack

If one would choose to just wire one pickup (or both) directly to the Output Jack (not an input), the separate cable(s) ends from the pickup(s) could just be twisted together to the separate cable ends of the cable going to the jack.

You'll probably wanna turn the amp gain and volume controls down to low settings.. not both amp settings on 11, eh?

The cables consist of shielded signal cable, meaning that the center insulated wire (often white vinyl insulation) is the signal wire (or audio (+), and the wire strands under the vinyl jackets of the pickup cables (red jacket, black jacket) are the pickup signal grounds.

The grey jacketed cable going to the output jack is made of the same type of shielded signal cable, and the center wire insulated with white vinyl is the signal wire (audio (+), while the wire strands under the grey jacket are the signal ground.

Nothing needs to be 100% shielded for testing, so twisting a pickup white wire to the output jack white wire will work, better to place a small piece of tape over the splice, then twisting the wire strands from under the same pickup cable to the wire strands of the output jack will complete the hookup of 1 pickup.

If desired, the second pickup can be temporarily spliced together the same way.

Now there might be some confusion about there not being a free end on the cable going to the output jack.

For any circuit changes, the most useful items are pencil and paper.. and maybe a sharpie marker or similar, to mark wires or terminals with.

The grey output cable end which is connected to the switch can be snipped close to the switch, leaving a recognizable amount of wire attached to the terminals, and noting the connections on your drawing.

Then, making enough bare wire at the end of the grey output jack cable can be accomplished with a knife or stripper (even nail clippers) being cautious to just cut thru the vinyl insulation, but not the wires (as they'll only keep getting shorter).

Although, instead of removing the grey cable that goes to the output jack from the switch, the same splicing methods described above can be used to splice each pickup cable to an end of the short cables already attached to the switch.

This means the switch should be in the middle position whether you choose to test one pickup or both.

Adding tone and volume pots would be done similarly by following a diagram (after unsplicing the above temporary connections). Since twisted splices aren't very reliable, soldering is usually required for connection terminals.

The main issue is keeping the signal wires (audio (+), and ground sections of the circuit cables separated.. each forming their own paths, without directly crossing them.

The center wires of the cables (audio (+) are often referred to as hot, and the strands of wire under the cable jackets are generally referred to as grounds or ground wires/leads.

Regards,

Bill

Archived