Gibson Brands Forums

Ground wire

ESP-335

Well, where does it connect, I've been watching this thread to find out. Please tell us, the suspense in killing me.

The stop bar post. That way the strings are grounded so you don't get shocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know too much about electronics... ok, nothing about it... but I was told ground wires in guitars were more for humming and feedback issues in the pickups and that any shock would most likely be caused by your equipment and bad outlets and not your guitar.

I have a 81 es335TD with trapeze and there's a ground connected to the strap button on the tail piece.

I don't know too much about electronics... ok, nothing about it... but I was told ground wires in guitars were more for humming and feedback issues in the pickups and that any shock would most likely be caused by your equipment and bad outlets and not your guitar.

I have a 81 es335TD with trapeze and there's a ground connected to the strap button on the tail piece.

Okay, I agree with you that the danger comes from bad outlets, or shorts in other equipment, but I was also under the impression that you could reduce the hazard or getting zapped by, say a mic stand while holding your guitar, by having the guitar properly grounded. I know I read that somewhere but if it is not correct, sorry for the misinformation and thanks for the correction.

Anyway, proper guitar ground wire connection involves getting the wire to come in contact with the strings. In my '86 ES335 that connection is through the stop bar post. Since it doesn't have a trapeze tailpiece like your '81, a ground wire connection to my strap button would not ever come in contact with the strings.

Archived