Gibson Brands Forums

Searching For a Guitar Case Can Present a Situation

Lefty Bill

A while ago, I had an extra lefty G-310 SG without a case, so I started grazing on the eBag site, and

found a used SKB hardcase in good condition* for a good price.

The seller stated that the particular SKB model was for SG guitars, so I bought it.

The case arrives in good condition, but the SG won't fit. It was a good price, so what the hay.

Looking over the case, I see a barcode label on the back/hinge side, which clearly states "Les Paul

Type Case" and a UPC (smaller characters) 7 89270 00560 0 on the label.

Looking at the SKB website, it seems all the cases now have synthetic plastic latches/hinges and a

TSA-approved lock. The TSA models are numbered 1SKB-nn.

The model for SG style bodies is 1SKB-61.. with the 61 representing the SG body style.

The --56- on the sticker of the case I bought represents the Les Paul body style. The cases with the

steel hardware are no longer shown, but may still be available as old stock from some places.

It's my understanding of the participants here, even though I'm a new member, I think I know what the

obvious, most sensible solution is.

I don't yet have a guitar that I want to just use as a test fixture for various wiring and component

changes.. the couple of guitars that I already have are in decent enough condition that I don't want

to do any modifications (other than improvements) or damage their finishes, so I actually need an

extra body to Franken-ize.

So, anyhoo.. I bought a new case for the other SG.. after all, it's essentially unplayed/new, so it

deserves a new case anyway. Not necessarily a SKB, but a decent quality made in China case..

equivalent to the quality of the guitar, at least.

This leaves me with an extra case, where the initial issue was an extra guitar without a case.

You may be thinking this isn't the conclusion of the serious dilemma which pesented itself.. no,

seriously, I was just sittin' here mindin' my own business.

I'll try to post additional information on this subject later.

Regards,

Bill

* It's a little hard to believe that some sellers are actually expecting good-used-case-prices for

cases with missing/busted out hardware, large cracks, holes etc.

I tend to snap up old cases in good condition whenever I run across them on the cheap. Just throw them in the basement knowing that in time they will be used. Good example, a while back I bought a 1930s tweed case built for a small archtop. Who would have thunk it but my 1950s Epi FT-79 (which I got with its original beat to heck chipboard case) fits in there like the case was made for it.

Last year I bought a new Epi Elitist 335 style case (the ones with the purple velvet interior) on eBay for $99 shipped. I don't have an Elitist (yet), but I have noticed that these cases sometimes get seperated from the guits on resale and on the off chance I found a deal on a caseless thinline Elitist, I have it ready. If that doesn't happen, I'll put another guitar in it and sell the old case for $50. Twisted logic I know, but that's why I hang out here with the other inmates. [thumbup]

Archived