Gibson Brands Forums

Lifeson/Axcess neck

torqvaw

I'm very close to taking the plunge on an "Al" but a little worried about the neck. I have smaller sized hands (wrist crease to tip of middle finger about 7.5"), and from what I understand the Axcess's have a rather broad neck. I'm a little worried how this will be to play. I haven't had the opportunity to play the Axcess or the Lifeson. So I'm looking for some feedback from those of you that have either the Axcess or the "Al" and smaller sized hands. I can tell you my hand feels really comfortable on my "Wolfie" neck and pretty good on my Epi pro/fx that has the 60's slim neck. I really hate to spend this much money and not be able to navigate the neck well.

Thanks!!

I have the AL Axcess but do not have small hands. I don't think the neck on the AL is especially broad, but it is broader than the 50s style neck that graces my LP Standard. It feels to me kind of like an SG neck. It is fairly shallow in depth even if a bit broader, so you might be ok with it. Worst case, if you can't find a place to try it out, maybe you should just buy one from an online dealer with a good return policy. I find the guitar very comfortable to play and the neck would work for me even if it had been a bit thicker.

I have the AL Axcess but do not have small hands. I don't think the neck on the AL is especially broad, but it is broader than the 50s style neck that graces my LP Standard. It feels to me kind of like an SG neck. It is fairly shallow in depth even if a bit broader, so you might be ok with it. Worst case, if you can't find a place to try it out, maybe you should just buy one from an online dealer with a good return policy. I find the guitar very comfortable to play and the neck would work for me even if it had been a bit thicker.

Thanks for your input! I picked up a Lifeson last night. Other than the neck feeling slightly sticky, it feels good. I can't bring my thumb around as well but I do like the dimensions.

Thanks for your input! I picked up a Lifeson last night. Other than the neck feeling slightly sticky, it feels good. I can't bring my thumb around as well but I do like the dimensions.

Congrats on your AL. Please post some pics!

Congrats! I don't understand why LPs have that "sticky neck" issue, but it's something both my LPs have and a friend of mine had the same issue with his 3 LPs. The stickiness seems to go away over time, but it's weird. The neck just gets "gunked up"! I'm glad the neck works for you -- no man's hands should deprive him of this great instrument!

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats! I don't understand why LPs have that "sticky neck" issue, but it's something both my LPs have and a friend of mine had the same issue with his 3 LPs. The stickiness seems to go away over time, but it's weird. The neck just gets "gunked up"! I'm glad the neck works for you -- no man's hands should deprive him of this great instrument!

My 355 has the sticky neck sometimes, but it goes away easily with a little buffing (by hand) with a soft cloth.

My 355 has the sticky neck sometimes, but it goes away easily with a little buffing (by hand) with a soft cloth.

It's normal for 'nitro' finishes to feel a little sticky, they take a long time to cure. Leave 'em out the case, play them alot, wipe them down. It'll go away eventually. I notice darker finishes seem to take longer too. It's all part of the charm ;o)

Archived