Gibson Brands Forums

Nashville or Memphis

SRich

I'm about to go look at an ES-335 Larry Carlton Signature and a 50th Anniversary 1960 ES-335TD Gloss Top. The price differential is (UK) substantial but I did wonder which plant these two would have come out of??

Just a bit a pre-looking research.

I'm about to go look at an ES-335 Larry Carlton Signature and a 50th Anniversary 1960 ES-335TD Gloss Top. The price differential is (UK) substantial but I did wonder which plant these two would have come out of??

Just a bit a pre-looking research.

Not positive about the Larry Carlton, but the 1960 Anniversary ES 335 is almost certainly out of Memphis. To the best of my knowledge, the only recent ES 335 models out of the Nashville shop are the '59 and '63 Historics. Only the '63 is apparently currently being built, or at least it's the only one shown on the Gibson website. Gibson doesn't make it any easier, as on their website, they do not identify which shop the guitars come out of.

On the plus side, the label inside the guitar will tell you. The orange labals are identical, except that the guitars from the Memphis shop say "Memphis, Tennessee USA" on the bottom of the label, and the guitars from the Nashville shop say "Nashville, Tennessee USA" on the bottom.

In the US, the Memphis "Anniversary" models have a list price of about $5650, and the '63 Block (which they don't even call a Historic on the website) is about $6850.

With a list price of around $5500, the LC is probably out of the Memphis shop.

People will argue here until the cows come home as to whether or not the Nashville guitars are worth the money. All I can say is that I have a Nashville '59 Historic, and it is the most beautifully detailed guitar I own. And I own a lot of guitars.

After a bit more research, every reference I find says that the Larry Carlton is made in Memphis. Unless the '60 Aniversary model is misidentified, it is also a Memphis product. Only the label will tell you for sure.

After a bit more research, every reference I find says that the Larry Carlton is made in Memphis. Unless the '60 Aniversary model is misidentified, it is also a Memphis product. Only the label will tell you for sure.

Your advice & research are much appreciated.....I was somehow hoping the LC would be a Nashville, but I'll go and see if anything resonates to me specifically!

Wouldn't be nice if an actual Gibson employee would chime in here. I wouldn't think the plant origin of their various guitars is a major corporate secret.

It's like my 1975 Les Paul Standard, nobody can (or will) tell me if it was made in Kalamazoo or Nashville.

Archived