Gibson Brands Forums

Swingster bad buzz at bridge, problems

LimerickRake

Ok so long story, Epiphone Emperor Swingster switched over to a lighter gauge, couldnt get the intonation sorted at the bridge where it was originally set even with 11's. Anyways took it to a reliable shop and they moved it back and got the intonation mostly sorted, but now there is a horrible buzz on nearly every string, particularly when played open. This guitar is really beginning to frustrate me just one problem after another. Its an electric, so i suppose its not a huge problem, but i do play it acoustic and I play a lot of blues so open strings are quite common, any suggestions? Do the roller saddles cause the problem?

Also, it comes out of tune incredibly easily, particularly for the top 3 strings (lighter) strings, altho that could be because they are new.

The out of tune problems could be just the new strings taking a while to settle in, I always stretch my strings by pulling them away from the fretboard 2" - 3", then re-tuning, then repeat. A good investment for a tremolo equipped guitar is a roller bridge, for a good one I'd recommend a Wilkinson, will only cost $25 or so, it offers far less resistance to the string's path.

The buzz you speak of, where is the noise coming from, the fretboard or the bridge ???

EDIT: Lighter gauge strings will also offer less tension to the neck, so quiet often changing string guages requires a truss-rod adjustment. see this post for more info on that.

Truss-Rod Post

I don't know the particular bridge you speak of, but the Epi tune-o-matic has a retaining wire that runs across the heads of the screws to keep them in place, they can often be the source of rattling, if your bridge has a similar retaining wire, that could be the culprit. One way to fix it is to use clear nail polish to dab a drop on where the wire crosses the each of the screw heads, another is to bend the wire slightly to make it fit more snugly.

Archived