Gibson Brands Forums

NEW Book Available on Gibson’s Other Brands from 1929-1961.

pfox14

Now available from Amazon.com and other book retailers: "The Other Brands of Gibson" by Paul Fox

From 1929 through 1961 Gibson, Inc. of Kalamazoo, Michigan produced over 30 brands of musical instruments that did not carry the Gibson name. Many of these brands may be familiar with such as Recording King, National and Washburn, while many others are names that only a handful of avid Gibsonites will know such as Werlein Leader, Grinnell, Truett, and many more.

This book is a complete guide to all of the other brands Gibson produced complete with detailed descriptions, photos and rare examples of existing instruments from collectors around the world. If youre hoping to find that diamond in the rough at the local garage sale, this guide will familiarize you with even the most obscure brands Gibson made.

While there is much that is not known about many of the Gibson-made brands, this book takes an in-depth look at all of the known brands Gibson made from 1929 to 1961 including Ambassador, Capital, Cromwell, Fascinator, FDH, Grinnell, Hayden, Kalamazoo, Kel Kroydon, Liberty, Henry Mason, Marshall Special, Martelle, Mastertone Special, Old Kraftsman (Spiegel), Oriole, Paynes for Music, Recording King (Montgomery Ward), Reznick Radio Special, S.S. Stewart, Tex Star, Trujo/Truett, Washburn, and Werlein Leader.

post-3382-089101600 1311020859_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got my copy through the post - great read.

I owned a KG14 but sold it to my boyfriend - he also has a Kalamazoo archtop (photo attached).

Also attached is a picture of my sad Cromwell with a darned great hole in the top which housed a defunct 1940's Selmer pickup.

Annette

post-42877-099468100 1334405834_thumb.jpg

post-42877-042346400 1334406947_thumb.jpg

Just got my copy through the post - great read.

I owned a KG14 but sold it to my boyfriend - he also has a Kalamazoo archtop (photo attached).

Also attached is a picture of my sad Cromwell with a darned great hole in the top which housed a defunct 1940's Selmer pickup.

Annette

Hi Annette,

Glad you enjoyed my book. Sorry to see that Kal in such bad shape.

Archived