Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Specifications

sabasgr68

Hello! I´m new to this forum, I´m from Venezuela.

I´m planning to buy a Les Paul guitar, and have a question regarding fretboard: are they all the same size, or are there narrow, normal and wide fretboards? If anybody can provide their own measures it´ll help as a guide. Please, I would like to know wide at the nut and 21st fret. And for those who can go a little further, please provide weight of your guitar.

This info will be of help, so thanks a lot from now, everybody.

Cheers..

Sabas.

Hello! I´m new to this forum, I´m from Venezuela.

I´m planning to buy a Les Paul guitar, and have a question regarding fretboard: are they all the same size, or are there narrow, normal and wide fretboards? If anybody can provide their own measures it´ll help as a guide. Please, I would like to know wide at the nut and 21st fret. And for those who can go a little further, please provide weight of your guitar.

This info will be of help, so thanks a lot from now, everybody.

Cheers..

Sabas.

Planning to make a fake one? ;)

Planning to make a fake one? ;)

Certainly not! It´s just that in Epiphone´s web page they only state nut witdh, nothing more, and if there´s the choice for a wider fretboard it´ll be great for me, as I found my fingers a little bit cramped on it. The other measures I requested are por comparison purposes only (I have a Peavey Raptor and would like to compare them both).

Anyway, thank you....

Certainly not! It´s just that in Epiphone´s web page they only state nut witdh, nothing more, and if there´s the choice for a wider fretboard it´ll be great for me, as I found my fingers a little bit cramped on it. The other measures I requested are por comparison purposes only (I have a Peavey Raptor and would like to compare them both).

Anyway, thank you....

Sorry, man, didn't mean to be mean :) It's just that my LP is at the studio today, and I cannot take the measures. As for different width - no, all LP Standards are the same model and have same specs. As I understand you do not have an opportunity to test the guitar locally? Anyways, the width should be the same on all EPI LPs with a set neck, I believe, AND I also think that Epi G400 should have the same neck measures (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

But hey - if they state nut width, isn't that good for you? It is the same as the fretboard width AT the nut.

Sorry, man, didn't mean to be mean :) It's just that my LP is at the studio today, and I cannot take the measures. As for different width - no, all LP Standards are the same model and have same specs. As I understand you do not have an opportunity to test the guitar locally? Anyways, the width should be the same on all EPI LPs with a set neck, I believe, AND I also think that Epi G400 should have the same neck measures (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

But hey - if they state nut width, isn't that good for you? It is the same as the fretboard width AT the nut.

It´s OK, my friend!

Well, you answer the main question: they are all the same width. And yes, I tested the guitar at a store, and that´s why I asked if there´s more than one fretboard width, but I couldn´t take the measure there at the moment. And yes, you´re correct, nut and 1st fretboard width are the same! #-o

Thanks again... It´s not really a big deal, but a little bit wider neck would have been great! Think I´ll have to learn to like it (if I decide to buy the Epiphone... I have other choices, but they will not be Les Pauls, just Les Paul type! [mellow]).

see you!

It´s OK, my friend!

Well, you answer the main question: they are all the same width. And yes, I tested the guitar at a store, and that´s why I asked if there´s more than one fretboard width, but I couldn´t take the measure there at the moment. And yes, you´re correct, nut and 1st fretboard width are the same! #-o

Thanks again... It´s not really a big deal, but a little bit wider neck would have been great! Think I´ll have to learn to like it (if I decide to buy the Epiphone... I have other choices, but they will not be Les Pauls, just Les Paul type! [mellow]).

see you!

I may be biased, but I think that Epi LP Standard is one of the best bang for the buck deals on the LP-type guitar market (and it is a real LP, not some kind of ESP LTD knock-off). That's from what I've played at the stores locally, at least, but hey, we do not have the widest choice. Switching from an S-type guitar to an LP may need some time for getting used (as an LP player I do find Strats somewhat uncomfortable to play, and my Strat buddy has the same problem with my LP). And the LP Standard will be heavier than your Peavey.

I may be biased, but I think that Epi LP Standard is one of the best bang for the buck deals on the LP-type guitar market (and it is a real LP, not some kind of ESP LTD knock-off). That's from what I've played at the stores locally, at least, but hey, we do not have the widest choice. Switching from an S-type guitar to an LP may need some time for getting used (as an LP player I do find Strats somewhat uncomfortable to play, and my Strat buddy has the same problem with my LP). And the LP Standard will be heavier than your Peavey.

Yes, you´re right. I´ve read that Epiphones weren´t that good, and that other LP type guitars were about the same quality or even better for less money. But lately I´ve read good comments on the epiphones built at the new factory. So perhaps it is worth to buy an Epiphone nowadays.

Yes, strats feel different. I plan to keep the raptor, but the LP will be played more, that´s for sure!. The raptor will be for my 13 yeras old kid, and the LP for me. And I think I´ll like the extra weight on the LP, in fact, that´s one of the things I don´t like of the raptor, it´s like "I need to feel `more´ guitar". !!

Thank you!! Thanks for taking some time to read this..

Sabas.

Yes, you´re right. I´ve read that Epiphones weren´t that good, and that other LP type guitars were about the same quality or even better for less money. But lately I´ve read good comments on the epiphones built at the new factory. So perhaps it is worth to buy an Epiphone nowadays.

Yes, strats feel different. I plan to keep the raptor, but the LP will be played more, that´s for sure!. The raptor will be for my 13 yeras old kid, and the LP for me. And I think I´ll like the extra weight on the LP, in fact, that´s one of the things I don´t like of the raptor, it´s like "I need to feel `more´ guitar". !!

Thank you!! Thanks for taking some time to read this..

Sabas.

You're welcome! Just be sure to come back here, especially when you get that Epi! We like pictures here A LOT :)

As for different width - no, all LP Standards are the same model and have same specs. As I understand you do not have an opportunity to test the guitar locally? Anyways, the width should be the same on all EPI LPs with a set neck, I believe, AND I also think that Epi G400 should have the same neck measures (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

Well, kind of. Any two LPs made in the same year in the same factory will probably be the same, but there has been a LOT of variation of specs over the years. If you're looking at buying new, you don't have much to worry about; they're all gonna be pretty much the same. If you're buying used, a '95 Korean made LP is going to be very different from an '08 Indonesian made model. Not necessarily better or worse, just different. the best thing to do is to go try out guitars until you find the one that you like the best.

Also of the 4-5 G400s I've played, it seemed to me that the necks had a similar back profile to your run-of-the-mill Epi LP Standard but were wider at the nut. Could just be me though, as I don't particularly care for the G400.

Also of the 4-5 G400s I've played, it seemed to me that the necks had a similar back profile to your run-of-the-mill Epi LP Standard but were wider at the nut. Could just be me though, as I don't particularly care for the G400.

Well, at least the Epi website states the same nut width for the G400, so perhaps it's these "variations" again?

Well, at least the Epi website states the same nut width for the G400, so perhaps it's these "variations" again?

Maybe (the Epi website isn't always the gospel truth), but it might be just me. SGs and LPs are two very different animals, so that probably has something to do with it as well. I don't really pay attention to measurements when it comes to determining if I like a guitar or not. I don't HAVE to have a thin or fat neck, so I just go with the feel. And to me, G400s just feel like they have a wider nut and string spacing than the LPs do.

Archived