Gibson Brands Forums

'57 classic potted?

scoid

Hi All,

I have two SGs, both with '57 classics. One is a Historic SG Standard and the other is a Gibson USA 1961 Re-issue. I'm guessing the Historic is a little different than what they are building today as it came with '57 classics, I think, and the truss rod cover says Les Paul. I think it's a 2007 or there abouts.

The problem is the '57 classics from the two guitars sound very different. One is set bright like a PAF and the other is dark like a mid 60's patented. I have switched out the pickups in both guitars to make sure the guitar wood or electronics were not making the difference. The only other thing I can think of is potting. Is there a way to know or to tell if a '57 classic is potted or not?

Any other ideas on what could be causing the difference?

Thanks,

:rolleyes: i guess your 2007 historic has the burstbuckers and the USA SG has the 57s?

the 57 is potted.

the burstbuckers from the GIB/USA are unpotted.

but the burstbuckers from the CS are potted.

usually the burstbuckers sound weaker than the 57.

j.

The description for the Historic back then said it had '57 classics. They swithced to the Burstbuckers only in the last few years on the SGs I believe.

Also, I seem to recall that some '57 classics were potted and some were not depending if they were bought seperately or came with a factory instrument. Any truth to that rumor?

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/FAQs/

[cool] email the customer service with the infos.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/

Talked with Roger Ball who confirmed the guitar is a 2007 and they came with '57 classics back then. So, now we're back to square one.

Hi All,

I have two SGs, both with '57 classics. One is a Historic SG Standard and the other is a Gibson USA 1961 Re-issue. I'm guessing the Historic is a little different than what they are building today as it came with '57 classics, I think, and the truss rod cover says Les Paul. I think it's a 2007 or there abouts.

The problem is the '57 classics from the two guitars sound very different. One set bright like a PAF and the other is dark like a mid 60's patented. I have switched out the pickups in both guitars to make sure the guitar wood or electronics were not making the difference. The only other thing I can think of is potting. Is there a way to know or to tell if a '57 classic is potted or not?

Any other ideas on what could be causing the difference?

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived