Gibson Brands Forums

Neal Schon Les Paul

ldl81395

Hey guys, I thought this would be the best place to ask my question. I know Gibson made 80 Neal Schon Custom Les Pauls, excluding his personal ones, correct? No one seems to be selling them right now, and I would like to know if there is any way I can get the Gibson Custom Shop to make me one, or would that be a big deal considering the legal problems Gibson and Neal have had? If need be, I would be able to get Neal's approval as my Uncle is a very well known tour manager and sound and lighting engineer, he used to own Belkin's sound and lighting too. So I would be able to get the okay if that's all that was needed. Thanks in advance!

Contact one of the Custom Shop super dealers and have them contact the custom shop. Your chances of getting one made is much better when a big dealer asks rather than a small shop in this case. The reason is because the large dealers buy more which means they talk to the shop more and may have a better relationship. Not trying to put down the smaller shops but in most cases in life, money talks. Good luck and keep us posted.

There is a 3 page discussion on the My Les Paul Forum about Neil and Gibson having a falling out

-

I doubt you'll be able to get one now-

I think I'd just buy the Alex Lifeson Axcess- it's basically the same guitar (some say this is the reason for the falling out) Read for yourself:

"You've used a variety of guitars over the years, but mostly I've seen you play Les Pauls –

"I did not play one Les Paul on this new record. I played Paul Reed Smith guitars – I'm working with them again, and we've got some great stuff coming out. I also played some Fender customs models. The Paul Reeds were singlecuts that Paul made for me about 10 years ago. Then I played a couple of McCartys that were custom-made for me, as well. And I had an old Schon guitar that Fernandes made – actually, they're going to start building them now, which is cool. Then there were some custom Fender Strats and Teles – mahogany, neck-thru, neck and body, chambered bodies, curly maple tops."

But no Les Pauls?

"Nope. They rubbed me wrong, man. I worked very hard with them on my signature model that we did several years ago, and we got Les' blessing and everything – Les was a good friend of mine. We changed the heel on the guitar, changed the angle of the neck, showed them how you put a Floyd Rose in a Les Paul without the thing sticking five miles out. We did a lot. And they ended up telling me that my guitars wouldn't sell because they were too expensive, even though every one of them sold out – this, despite the fact that they put some ridiculous price tag on them, like $10,000 or $12,000 a guitar.

"So they took my ideas and stuck them on the Axcess model, which is a cheaper edition of what was my guitar. We got into it legally for a moment about the heel of the guitar, which was very much like a Schon. Eventually I just said, 'I'm gonna let this go. Forget about it.' So I walked away, and I'm glad I did."

Read the whole discussion here: http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/151665-gibson-fails-again-jesus.html

• 5 months later...

Hey guys, I thought this would be the best place to ask my question. I know Gibson made 80 Neal Schon Custom Les Pauls, excluding his personal ones, correct? No one seems to be selling them right now, and I would like to know if there is any way I can get the Gibson Custom Shop to make me one, or would that be a big deal considering the legal problems Gibson and Neal have had? If need be, I would be able to get Neal's approval as my Uncle is a very well known tour manager and sound and lighting engineer, he used to own Belkin's sound and lighting too. So I would be able to get the okay if that's all that was needed. Thanks in advance!

I've got a white one that has just sat in it's case. I wouldnt mind selling. Let me know if you're interested.

Dennis

Archived