Gibson Brands Forums

Historic Wildwood Spec Les Paul

johnnybregar

Over the weekend I played a '57 Standard Wildwood spec Les Paul, just purchased recently (actually this exact guitar). Words on a page cannot even approach how utterly awe-inspiring this guitar is. Through a Vox amp, I was absolutely blown away at the tone, sustain and responsiveness - not to mention how playable it was. In the ~30 years I've been playing guitar, it could well be one of the top two or three I've ever played.

My question is, in order for me to get a Les Paul that sounds and plays like that one, do I have to spend that kind of dough? Or is there another way to do it and achieve the same results? Can I get the same pickups and install them myself? Is the neck and body available through some other source? I'd like to spend closer to $1500 - is it possible I could put together a beast like that for less $$?

Thanks for your insights.

Johnny B.

My question is, in order for me to get a Les Paul that sounds and plays like that one, do I have to spend that kind of dough? Or is there another way to do it and achieve the same results? Can I get the same pickups and install them myself? Is the neck and body available through some other source? I'd like to spend closer to $1500 - is it possible I could put together a beast like that for less $?

Those Wildwood spec guitars are fantastic as you stated. No you do not have to spend that much money IF you can find the right woods or guitar AND the right hardware. Chances are that you would actually spend more trying all the combinations of hardware and guitars. The best pickups in one guitar may sound completely wrong in another. You don't know without trying. The biggest expense is the guitar body/neck. Finding the right one is a good start and then you have to play with the hardware. Tell the dealer you are working with what your budget is. You may be able to play some that are in your budget side by side with that Wildwood guitar. Or contact Wildwood and discuss it with them. They should be able to help you get what you want. From what I know about the pickups, you will not be able to get those exact ones unless Wildwood sells a set that has been pulled from one of the guitars. The neck and body may be found in many of the used Historic series Custom Shop Les Pauls but with that budget you may not find one in good condition. . Playing them in person is a key to finding the right one for you. It can be done. I have a Gibson USA 60's Tribute Les Paul that feels, plays and sounds so close to my CR6 that it is scarry. I would start by contacting Wildwood or a Custom Shop dealer in your area

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived