Gibson Brands Forums

'56 Goldtop reissue owners?

Tune-O-Matt-ic

I've just put a 2006 Historic '56 RI on hold. What a fantastic guitar. The only issues are that it has no paperwork, and I don't think the case is correct. It is the brown w/ pink interior USA case. Wasn't a deal-breaker, because the guitar itself is what I wanted, but I'd like to have the original stuff.

What should this have had, and can I get any paperwork/certificates from Gibson?

Also, I would love to see yours if anyone has one!

It should have the black Custom Shop case with the red interior and the Gibson Custom Shop logo on it. If it is the brown and pink case from the Custom Shop and not the brown case from USA, that would have been a plus. The USA case will detract from the sale. Also there should be a plastic package (case candy) with a cord, polish cloth, picks, etc. There should also be the warranty pamphlet and the certificate of authenticity (COA or sometimes called "cert"). All these items can be picked up on the web except the original cert. You will not be able to get a duplicate cert. unless you are the original owner, have the original bill of sale from a Gibson dealer and return the guitar and paperwork to Gibson Custom for verification. The paperwork should not be a big concern but you can use the fact that it is not with the guitar and it has the wrong case as a point to bargain on the price. A lot of us would say that if these items were not there and the case was wrong, it may bother us as to the care of the guitar by the owner. Why is the original case gone? The paperwork could have been put away and forgotten about when it was previously sold and did not follow the guitar. I have a 2004 56RI and it is great. If the price is right, don't worry and just play the thing.

A "Blister top" with small blisters that look like rain drops on the top.

64004.JPG

• 4 months later...

That description of the case sounds like the reissue Lifton or one of those brown regular production numbers I've seen. Either way, it is not the case that the R6 ships in. I have a 2010 R6(no pics as yet) and it arrived with the black case and paperwork. Apparently, the cord, cloth, and the "monkey wrench"(truss rod adjust)are history. I am not sure if that is a factory initiative or something deemed verboten by the Canadian distributor. I'm guessing it is the latter. Anyway, as far as I have seen and know, the R6 comes with the black Gibson Custom case.

Archived