Gibson Brands Forums

Varitone Control

This_Dying_Soul

Hi guys,

I know it's actually the Gibson site and not the Gretsch one, but my goal is to get tones similar to that of the Lucille model with my Gretsch.

I have been thinking about modding it with a Varitone control. Wondering if anyone here happens to have a Gretsch G5120 with the stock pickups and attempted this mod. If so, was it remotely similar sounding to Lucille?

I like the stock pickups and hope to keep them so that I have that tone when the varitone switch is in the bypass position; but I also realize different pickups will have a different response because of the frequency spectrum they produce. I may consider swapping out the stock pickups for whatever model is used on the Lucille models if I can't find the result I'm after using the stock ones.

I did post this question on TheGretschPages also and I'm interested to see what kind of response it'll get. Most of them mod their guitars to be more like high end Gretsch models; so it should be an interesting read to see them react to the thought of bastardizing a Gretsch to sound more like a Gibson. [tongue]

Archived