Gibson Brands Forums

what strings should i use on a 1939 gibson L-30

steve_cassel

If you want the traditional sound and feel of the era, and be period correct to the age of the guitar, you'll want to try flatwounds with a wound third. D'Addario "Chromes" are very good strings, reasonably priced and readily available. These guitars were designed with heavy strings in mind, so I would recommend you try the .012 set first.

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you'll enjoy the old archtop.

If you want the traditional sound and feel of the era, and be period correct to the age of the guitar, you'll want to try flatwounds with a wound third. D'Addario "Chromes" are very good strings, reasonably priced and readily available. These guitars were designed with heavy strings in mind, so I would recommend you try the .012 set first.

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you'll enjoy the old archtop.

i appreciate the info. ill pick up a set tomorrow.

If you want the traditional sound and feel of the era, and be period correct to the age of the guitar, you'll want to try flatwounds with a wound third.

For a 1930's acoustic? Larry, could you elaborate on this, or provide a source regarding the history of flatwounds?

I've always been under the impression that flatwounds came along after the popularity of electric guitars began to be significant (more post-WWII era). Flatwounds are always associated more with electric guitars, and are not favored by most acoustic archtop players, as far as I know, because of their softer and more dull acoustic sound.

First law of the internet... don't be too quick to believe everything you read.

Anyway, I still haven't found any more definitive info on string history vis a vis flatwounds vs roundwounds (but I tend to want to stand by what I said above).

Larry...?

Archived