Gibson Brands Forums

Greetings And Question

Andy R

Note - Posted this in the lounge but didn't get much. So I though I would give it a whirl here. Any insight is appreciated.

Greetings everyone. While I am not a new member to the Gibson forums I am noob here in the Epi lounge. I recognize a few names but hello to those I have not met before.

So I do have a question That I will post here and you can advise if I would get a better response on the Epiphone Acoustic Forum or should be moved.

So here's the situation. My friends husband recently passed away and she wanted me to look through his guitars and see if there are any I might want and or what they might be worth. He really didn't have many that were worth more than a few hundred dollars but I did run across this Epiphone EC 150.

While I am fairly knowledgeable about Electric guitars I acquiesce to my ignorance of deeper knowledge and details about acoustic guitars, especially classical models.

I did some Google-Fu and found out a little bit about this guitar in that it was made in either 66 or 69 ( Apparently they had some cross serials in Kalamazoo at the time). It appears as if they sell for around $800.00 but only found a couple that I could verify.

I would rate the guitar to be in "Good" condition. The neck is warped but that is something I can repair myself. It also appears to have some wood filler around the base of the neck. It appears to be from the factory ( I'm not sure how strict they were on QC for these at the time) Regardless, it doesn't appear that the neck has been re-set or has separated. It looks like there was some chipping that was filled in and it appears to be under the original finish.

The tuners have been replaced but I believe the originals are in the case. Other than that there are no major scratches and the finish has checked quite nicely.

So my questions to the experts would be:

Is there anyway to differentiate between a 66 or 69?

Do you think the filler is original?

How collectable are these?

Any Idea of estimated value?

I might buy it as I gave away my classical a few years back and this one seems to be pretty cool ( once I get the neck fixed) Regardless I told my friends wife I would at least give her a BallPark estimate on value as well as fix the neck regardless if I buy it or not. He didn't leave her much so I want to make sure she gets what it might be worth...

Thanks in advance and I really appreciate any information provided.

Regards Andy

file-7.jpg

file-6.jpg

file-5.jpg

file-4.jpg

file-3.jpg

file-2.jpg

file-1.jpg

file.jpg

Hi Andy R! Fancy meeting you here.

OEM Wood filler? Nope.

Probably a neck re-set or the neck started to separate. It could be >shudder< epoxy.

I'm not too familiar with this vintage or it's construction. Newer vintages 71 - 80ish were made during the bad old Norlin years. Some of the pricier, Norlin Epis had bolt on heel necks with the lag like bolt from the heel through the neck block with a nut inside. These have a tendency to come loose in this area. But I can't say if that is the case with this one.

But, wood filler is definitely not OEM. Is it a bad thing? I dunno. It's an Epi and will never command vintage Gibson money, unless it a 1965 FT-79 'Texan', and that's only due to its connection with three British owners.

If it plays and sounds good, then it's a good guitar $800? May be a bit steep, but you have to find the right buyer. Classical guitar buyers are fewer and further betwixed than steel string folk guitar players and tend to be pickier. Most classical players will be put of by the definitely not OEM heel button. Classical guitarists don't generally make use of straps and therefore any buttons. 'Real' classical guitars don't have any strap buttons. So, if it has a butt button, that will be even less desirable as it will dig into the player's thigh. I kind of doubt the butt button was OEM on Epiphone classical guitars in the 1960's.

Your question might better be answered on a classical or flamenco guitar board.

Archived