Gibson Brands Forums

Can someone help me identify the model of this 335?

willdguitar

So, my friend's dad let me borrow his ES-335, which I absolutely LOVE. I'm interested in getting one myself, however, he can't remember the model. He gave me the serial and the model number, though I'm not exactly sure what it's listed under.

For example, if I wanted to find the exact same model of guitar, where would I find it? I don't think it's custom shop, just custom line, since I'm pretty sure he got it at Guitar Center.

The serial: 01013759

The model: ESDT335

Picture (poor quality, sorry):

It doesn't show, but there's a shiny gloss over a really nice wood texture (so it's not a Satin finish).

Is it the Dot Fat Neck?

Thanks!

Willdguitar's has chrome or nickel hardware - one of your links are gold hardware.

I see the amazon link lists the name they're calling it, "Gibson Custom ES-335 Dot Electric Guitar, Cherry, Figured Maple", and the complete model number - ESDTCHNH1

ES = type . D = dot . T=figured top . CH=Cherry finish . NH=nickel hardware and that 1 is a hold over from days gone by meaning it's 1st quality (not a 2 or second or flawed).

Correct me if I'm wrong on this - somebody must know the model symbology better than me. . B)

But basically, yes - those links are all the same guitar (excluding hardware color and neck profile)

Willdguitar's has chrome or nickel hardware - one of your links are gold hardware.

I see the amazon link lists the name they're calling it, "Gibson Custom ES-335 Dot Electric Guitar, Cherry, Figured Maple", and the complete model number - ESDTCHNH1

ES = type . D = dot . T=figured top . CH=Cherry finish . NH=nickel hardware and that 1 is a hold over from days gone by meaning it's 1st quality (not a 2 or second or flawed).

Correct me if I'm wrong on this - somebody must know the model symbology better than me. . B)

But basically, yes - those links are all the same guitar (excluding hardware color and neck profile)

So hardware color doesn't effect sound, but what is neck profile? Would that effect the sound or feel? I definitely like the glossy red more than Satin, but I really no have no preference in hardware colorations.

.... but what is neck profile? Would that effect the sound or feel? I definitely like the glossy red more than Satin....

SG-Features-50s-Neck-Profile.jpg

The 60's slim taper profile is the slimmest.

The 50's profile is thicker and fairly even in thickness all the way down the neck.

The 59 profile is the thickest, just under an inch thick (0.96" in fact) all the way down the neck - Custom Shop only.

The profile on the 2008 Standards, is the same size as the 50's profile on the top half and the same as the 60's profile on the bottom.

Neck thickness is a personal preference. Some folks prefer the thicker feel, some prefer the thinner feel. And some would say more wood on the neck makes for better tone. The 335 can be found with the 60s and the 50s neck.

The finish is also a persoanl perference - not only for the look, but the feel. The satin and gloss will feel different, especially on the back of the neck.

You should visit some shops and try to play the different variations so you can understand the differences and figure out what you like.

Archived