Gibson Brands Forums

need help with a es335 from 1958

trysha1965

Hey everyone. I recently inherited my dads guitar collection. and in there was a es335 from 1958 serial number is r532130 and i am intersted in selling it .. Where do i go to get the best price on it. How do i determine im not being scammed on its actual worth and I have a photo. Its in PERFECT conditon. I mean absolutly like new. I would love to sell this. I am just clueless.

Thanks in advance,

Trysh

That serial number would NOT be from 1958. A '58 serial number on an "ES" would start with the prefix "A" followed by 5 numerals, such as A-12345. I also don't understand the "r" prefix you show on your number. The six-digit serial numbers were used from the early 60's through the mid-70's, but six numbers only, without any letter prefix.

Detailed photos would help put a positive ID on what you have. From the late-50's through the mid-60's there were changes in the features of the guitar which make "era" easily identifiable. We can help you ID the guitar, but the value is up to the current "market". The best way to determine value is to find what similar guitars have ACTUALLY sold for on auction sites or from "vintage" dealers. DO NOT rely on "asking" prices, only "sold" prices are of any use.

1958 was the first year for the ES-335. If you indeed have a 1958 Gibson ES-335, you have a VERY valuable instrument. The published shipping records I have for Gibson show 267 sunbursts and 50 in natural shipping out in '58. The cherries seem to not have come along until 1960.

If the "r" in the serial number you list is a typo, and you meant to type just 532130, that number would be either from 1969, 1974 or early 1975.

We'll need additional info to help you. You can also stick a mirror into the lower f-hole and try to read the mfg codes on the bottom of the potentiometers. You're looking for a seven-digit number starting with "137". The last four digits are what are really important in dating the potentiometers. For a mid-60's through mid-70's 335, the pot codes are probably the ONLY way to narrow down the year of mfg because Gibson duplicated serial numbers during those years.

Let us know.

Hi! i was reading the serial number from inside the guitar. It is a sunburst style and was purchased in 1960. So here is the photo of the guitar

That serial number would NOT be from 1958. A '58 serial number on an "ES" would start with the prefix "A" followed by 5 numerals, such as A-12345. I also don't understand the "r" prefix you show on your number. The six-digit serial numbers were used from the early 60's through the mid-70's, but six numbers only, without any letter prefix.

Detailed photos would help put a positive ID on what you have. From the late-50's through the mid-60's there were changes in the features of the guitar which make "era" easily identifiable. We can help you ID the guitar, but the value is up to the current "market". The best way to determine value is to find what similar guitars have ACTUALLY sold for on auction sites or from "vintage" dealers. DO NOT rely on "asking" prices, only "sold" prices are of any use.

1958 was the first year for the ES-335. If you indeed have a 1958 Gibson ES-335, you have a VERY valuable instrument. The published shipping records I have for Gibson show 267 sunbursts and 50 in natural shipping out in '58. The cherries seem to not have come along until 1960.

If the "r" in the serial number you list is a typo, and you meant to type just 532130, that number would be either from 1969, 1974 or early 1975.

We'll need additional info to help you. You can also stick a mirror into the lower f-hole and try to read the mfg codes on the bottom of the potentiometers. You're looking for a seven-digit number starting with "137". The last four digits are what are really important in dating the potentiometers. For a mid-60's through mid-70's 335, the pot codes are probably the ONLY way to narrow down the year of mfg because Gibson duplicated serial numbers during those years.

Let us know.

post-35332-086757000 1314123828_thumb.jpg

from what i have been able to figure out. This one was manufactured in nashville. And the R stands for 61. but i wanted to verify this and see its worth. I have a gretch that i wanted to sell too its a 50's model as well. its a solid body Gretch so i have no clue where the serial number is.

Your guitar is an ES-330, not an ES-335. ES-330's differ from ES-335's in two major ways: 330's are completely hollow, whereas 335's have a solid block running through the body; also, 330's have single coil pickups, while 335's have humbucking pickups.

To be more precise, yours is an ES-330TD. "T" for thinline, and "D" for "double" (two pickups). Gibson also made an ES-330T, which had just one pickup.

from what i have been able to figure out. This one was manufactured in nashville.

May I ask what led you to think this was manufactured there?

And the R stands for 61.

In Gibson's reverse alphabetical FON (factory order number) system, an "R" stands for 1960.

At first glance, it would appear that you may have a 1960 ES-330 there. The photo quality is such that I can't quite make out what appears to be a label inside the bass-side f-hole. Also, there appears to be something on the center of the headstock, which is puzzling me.

If it is indeed a 1960 ES-330 in excellent condition, the current market value (retail, what a dealer would ask for it) would be in the $4,000-$5,000 range. It's unlikely that you would be able to get that much for it if you sold it yourself, particularly in the current state of the market. Also, the volume and tone knobs are the "reflector cap" type, which are slightly less desirable than the clear top, "bonnet" type that preceded them (on earlier 1960 examples). This is a minor point, but just something to be aware of.

This is not a 335. The ES-335 never came with P-90 pickups, always with humbuckers. It looks to be an ES-330, and that is a VERY different guitar than a 335. The ES-330 was introduced as the "budget model" ES around the same time as the ES-335. You're getting some inaccurate info from somewhere about model. year and place of mfg, and I hate to answer questions with questions, but your not giving us much to go on here, so let's just get some facts here...

What is on the headstock (other than the Gibson logo, of course), I can't tell what it is (post photo)?

Is the "Gibson" logo a MOP inlay, or a decal.

It it fully hollow, or semi-hollow?

Does it have a headstock volute?

Does it have a "Made In The USA" stamp on the back of the headstock?

Does it a serial number stamped on the back of the headstock?

What are the potentiometer codes?

At what fret does the neck join the body?

Provide these answers (and/or photos) and someone here will provide you with accurate information.

Hey everyone. I recently inherited my dads guitar collection. and in there was a es335 from 1958 serial number is r532130

This is likely a FON... R5321 30. The R prefix indicates 1960. 5321 is the batch number. 30 is the sequence number.

Trysh states that this was bought in 1960, which would make sense. Everything in the photo suggests a late-1960 ES-330TD. Whatever that is on the headstock is probably inconsequential (a sticker or something). The puzzler for me is what that is inside the bass-side f-hole (a label? a sticker? ...?).

This would have been made in Kalamazoo, Michigan, if it dates to 1960. Gibson has a factory in Nashville now, but this guitar appears to have been made long before the modern era of Gibson in Nashville.

the lil dots on the side of the neck are inlayed.

What is on the headstock (other than the Gibson logo, of course), I can't tell what it is (post photo)? nothing sticker from the music house where it came from.

Is the "Gibson" logo a MOP inlay, or a decal. it looks like an inlay

It it fully hollow, or semi-hollow? there is something that goes half way down the back of it.

Does it have a headstock volute? I dunno what that is lol

Does it have a "Made In The USA" stamp on the back of the headstock? NO

Does it a serial number stamped on the back of the headstock? No its inside

What are the potentiometer codes? 2 vol and 2 tone 0 thru 10

At what fret does the neck join the body? 7th

Provide these answers (and/or photos) and someone here will provide you with accurate information.

Archived