Gibson Brands Forums

Question regarding headstock logo on 50th Explorer

Mvfvette1

Hello all. I know that this guitar is not from the custom shop, but I thought that the crowd here may have some further insight with my question. I just received my new 50th anniversary Explorer (Brimstone, GOM for Oct 2008). This guitar was marketed with a vintage Ted McCarthy headstock logo (like the one on the reverse Explorer and the 50th Flying V). When my guitar arrived, it had the newer style Gibson logo (like on all new Explorers, except in gold). I called Gibson and they explained that this was a factory error and that some were shipped to dealers with this incorrect logo. It was supposed to have the vintage McCarthy logo as marketed. Gibson said they would replace the guitar with one that has the correct logo if that is what I want.

I have been unable to get any specifics as to how many left the factory with the wrong logo. I called Gibson again. They simply emailed me that there were no production numbers and that they would replace the guitar if I was unhappy. Does anyone have more specifics with this matter? I'm reluctant to have the guitar replaced for several reasons (low serial number, fantastic flamed top, possibility that not many left the factory with this error), but I also do like the headstock logo that the guitar was supposed to have. If I had more information as to how many left the factory with the error, it would make my decision much easier. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mike

Archived