Gibson Brands Forums

Rarity Question

New Light

Hey folks!

I bought an Epiphone Hummingbird 12 String recently. It plays well and I love it. I bought it new at a guitar shop at a local military PX for $600. Prices on base are usually a bit lower and no tax is assessed. I started to look around for a 6 string guitar, and out of curiousity, I checked out the Epiphone Hummingbird (6 string) and was shocked that it sold for only $300 on the net. That started me on a price hunt of the 12 string. I found no guitars like mine anywhere at any price. So, I did a web search and I'm finding out that this was some type of limited special run. Is this true? Can someone from Epiphone fill me in on exactly what I bought? How many were made where can I register the serial number? - that kind of stuff. Thanks

Dave

Did you purchase it recently? Was it new or used?

Mine is brand new as far as I could tell - no sign of any nicks or scratches anywhere. It came with tweed gig bag, and the store clerk threw in some extras. I bought it in late July (2011) at the PX at Keesler AFB, in Mississippi. The clerk said that the store owner buys and stores his guitars in a properly humidified room. He's a bit of a collector, it seems. So, I don't if this "special run" was made recently or if it's been a while.

I don't think this guitar all That special that is going to be a high priced item some day, not anytime soon anyway. I'm just curious about it. I have seen a handfull of these being sold used on the net, but no new one's...

Thanks for any info...

Dave

post-35558-064717100 1314996878_thumb.jpg

Archived