Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Player Repair Guide

xdamerx

Hi xdamerx,

Yeh, I've got it too. I think it's a great book, though sometimes a bit confusing in it's presentation. But yes a bible. It gave me the confidence to start doing my own set ups (that's why I bought it) and now, after buying a few basic tools, I wonder a) what all the fuss and mystic was about attached to setups, :) how incompetent most dealers and supposed pro techs in shops are, and c) how, in the past, I'd just accepted however the guitar was presented to me and would judge the whole instrument on this, not realising the significance of the setup.

I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone.

Yea I was thinkin the same about the tools bit! I have never done any technical stuff to my guitar other than string it. I am, well was too afraid to do something to the guitar and mess it up, but I've only just been reading little bits here and there from the book, and it seems so much easier than I would have thought, as well, it beats searching all over the net, having 20 different answers to one question, when you can just look it up in this book and most likely will tell you how and why to do it the way he does it!

Ren, I agree with everything you said there!

Cajunman, I bought the book off amazon.co.uk for £10, brand new! I'd pay £30 for this book easy! And it's massive!!! And comes with a DVD!

BTW' date=' I got this one right today

http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Paul-Manual-Balmer/dp/184425478X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223638626&sr=8-1

I had just the time for a quick look inside, but it seems really good[/quote']

Haha, I didn't think Haynes made books on guitars, I used them for my Chevys I've had! That's cool! I'm sure it's a great book!

Archived