Gibson Brands Forums

'94 Bluesmaster

Guit/Tech

Hi All. So, I have recently reconnected with my favorite instrument, ever. I purchased my Epi Bluesmaster in '94, because I had a hard time playing a dread. as my arm would fall asleep! Anyhow, big acoustic blues player now as a result. This instrument was sold to a friend about a decade ago. He DESTROYED it. The destruction was, however, loving and mostly through playing the hec out of it and dragging it around *everywhere*. Well, it's mine again in serious need of help. The headstock was cracked, serious deflection of the neck block split the back at it's base and the top has some minor splits due to dryness. I have repaired the broken headstock (glued up really well BTW) and replaced the nut, with bone, and begun to complete ( he started to, no idea what he was doing, planned to tung oil )striping the back. He unfortunately discovered the back was laminated when he sanded through the Sapele veneer. I am a cabinetmaker and former guitar tech, armed with a bit of knowledge in these things. I have some gre quartered Sapele veneer to pick through for a patch. I am concerned however, that if I re-veneer the entire back, replace the binding and backstrip, the back my have a tendency to cup. I am also, having a hell of a time removing the balance of the finish. NO stripper I've tried even touches it. Polyester maybe? For the top, he had it repaired, poorly by a "professional" who filled them with superglue, sealing in dark grime. The cracks *do* need to be reinforced. I will dig and patch with Sitka as I've done before, on a very small scale. So. I would like to know if any of you, or someone at Epi can offer me some advise here. I have a general direction, but would like some input. Also, will Nitro Laq be a suitable product to recoat the entire instrument as I would like to scuff out scratches and will need to at least touchup the top's finish? HELP! Also have new Abolone side and neck dots along with new Gotoh OEM machines to go on. Really excited to have my baby back.

Will upload some pics later.

Dave

A cat who hangs here and is an administrator goes by the moniker KSDADDY. He may have some insight. I'm not sure if he frequents the Epi boards much. KSDADDY does a fair amount of repair and restore work. You might be able to PM him to take a look at this thread.

That must be some tough finish if stripper won't touch it. Probably polyurethane. Too bad about the hickey on the back. I see a couple rub points up towards the heel, probably got it while in the case.

You could also check out a site, fret.com. It's run by a luthier of great renown, Frank Ford out in Palo Alto, California. He posts a lot of tricks of the trade. Not sure I've seen any removal techniques for bullet proof finish though, but give it a look see.

Is the top solid or lam? I wonder if acetone, finger nail polish (the real stuff), could be used to dissolve and wash out the super glue?

A cat who hangs here and is an administrator goes by the moniker KSDADDY. He may have some insight. I'm not sure if he frequents the Epi boards much. KSDADDY does a fair amount of repair and restore work. You might be able to PM him to take a look at this thread.

That must be some tough finish if stripper won't touch it. Probably polyurethane. Too bad about the hickey on the back. I see a couple rub points up towards the heel, probably got it while in the case.

You could also check out a site, fret.com. It's run by a luthier of great renown, Frank Ford out in Palo Alto, California. He posts a lot of tricks of the trade. Not sure I've seen any removal techniques for bullet proof finish though, but give it a look see.

Is the top solid or lam? I wonder if acetone, finger nail polish (the real stuff), could be used to dissolve and wash out the super glue?

Thanks, tommyK. The top is solid spruce. I was considering the acetone approach to clean out the splits as well. I think given the depth and length of some of the splits the could really use a patch for strengthening. Thanks again for the other input! I have emailed KSDADDY as suggested. Going on to the other websit you recommended now. Thanks.

I don't think I'd veneer the back. I'd use tinted lacquer and just keep fogging it on until the veneer sand-through was hidden enough so you can live with it.

As to stripping it, I'm at a loss. At this point I don't think you'll do much more damage just sanding it.

I have never found a commercial paint stripper that will remove a poly finish off a guitar. I have never tried it but I have heard that using low heat and scaper will work. Other than that you are left with sanding.

I love fixing up guitars that are headed for the scrap pile. I have been up the last couple of nights making top braces and cleats for a 1920s Regal. The feeling of playing a guitar you brought back from the dead is something else. My last project was an early 1970s Guild with a busted neck and headstock. I have a script logo Gibson, 1950s Epi, and 1930s National (among others) sitting there but it is the Guild that I grab more often as not. Just a great feeling to play that salvage yard special.

Thank you all for the replies. I did some careful sanding and managed to finish cleaning up the back. The splits in the top, despite my efforts and every solvent known to man, did not clean up. I actually had a good time with a fresh e-xato and some spruce, and pulled off some good paches. I have a friend that's a wiz with color and touch-ups. I'm going to impose on him to color the patches and and grain paint the back. I'm really enjoying this process now that I have a direction and have made some progress.

This guitar, is such a gem. i think I paid $429 for it in '94. For those of you who may have never played or seen one, it may appear that it is not worth the effort. a nice Bluesmaster will keep up with a Matain parlor any day. I can't wait to get it finished and strung again. I'll post some pics at some point. Wish me luck.

Thank you all for the replies. I did some careful sanding and managed to finish cleaning up the back. The splits in the top, despite my efforts and every solvent known to man, did not clean up. I actually had a good time with a fresh e-xato and some spruce, and pulled off some good paches. I have a friend that's a wiz with color and touch-ups. I'm going to impose on him to color the patches and and grain paint the back. I'm really enjoying this process now that I have a direction and have made some progress.

This guitar, is such a gem. i think I paid $429 for it in '94. For those of you who may have never played or seen one, it may appear that it is not worth the effort. a nice Bluesmaster will keep up with a Matain parlor any day. I can't wait to get it finished and strung again. I'll post some pics at some point. Wish me luck.

If youre trying to remove the SuperGlue from the splits, dowse them with little Nitromethane. That'll make the SG crumble away like magic!

Archived