Gibson Brands Forums

Zero Fret Grooves

GreatBigGiantBrain

I'm a new ZT-3 owner. Loving it.

On the Zeroth fret, there are some grooves that the strings sit in. When you bend a string (especially the higher ones), the string makes a strange pop slipping out of the groove (not audible, but felt in my hand) that is not pleasant. It is like this on most of the non-wound strings. It's like there is a burr on the fret that is catching on the string. I keep waiting for one of the strings to break because of it.

I was wondering if this is normal for a ZT-3? Is the zeroth fret supposed to have grooves the strings sit in?

If not, I may try and file them down some when I change strings next.

Thanks,

Brian

• 1 month later...

I changed my pickups to PAF-JOE and MO-JOE. Big Big difference. Might have wanted a more punchier neck pickup, but overall very satisfied with them. Great purchase (and got a great deal on them, so double win).

When I had all the strings off, I inspected the zero fret for grooves and found none. I think that maybe it is the plastic string guide (the fingers that come over the zero fret) that are catching when I bend strings. We had our first live set after the pickup change and I did not notice the fret catching at all. Maybe it will ease up with time.

Later,

Brian

Archived