Gibson Brands Forums

Pots/wiring for '59 VOS

mrflibble

I'm fixing up a 2008 LP Special DC that the previous owner fitted with some crazy push-pull monster wiring. I used to have a custom shop '59 VOS (made in 2008 or 2009) a couple of years ago and I really liked the feel of the controls on that, especially the taper of the pots, so I want to replace the current wiring with something close to that. I've been looking for exact wiring and parts info for that guitar but I can't find them anywhere.

Long story short, anyone know what pots are/were used in the '59 VOS LPs a couple of years back and if there was any particular odd wiring going on? I'm assuming since the LP Special is a flattop I'll be needing short shaft versions rather than the long shaft pots which I'm sure would have been in the '59 but other than that, I'm just looking to replicate the VOS controls as close as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fixing up a 2008 LP Special DC that the previous owner fitted with some crazy push-pull monster wiring. I used to have a custom shop '59 VOS (made in 2008 or 2009) a couple of years ago and I really liked the feel of the controls on that, especially the taper of the pots, so I want to replace the current wiring with something close to that. I've been looking for exact wiring and parts info for that guitar but I can't find them anywhere.

Long story short, anyone know what pots are/were used in the '59 VOS LPs a couple of years back and if there was any particular odd wiring going on? I'm assuming since the LP Special is a flattop I'll be needing short shaft versions rather than the long shaft pots which I'm sure would have been in the '59 but other than that, I'm just looking to replicate the VOS controls as close as possible.

Hey, I have done this mod many times, IMO the best!

pots CTS Audio tapers Volume 300k or 500k (500k is brighter than 300k) personally I use 500k for bridge 300k for neck. I also use 500k audio taper CTS for tone

Luxe Bumblebee caps (expensive, orange drops will do)

http://guitar-xperience.com/onlinestore/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=660&category_id=205&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=38

switchcraft jack & toggle switch

50's style wiring diagrams on below website

http://www.blueskillet.com/Gibson_Mods.htm

to be really authentic get historic gibson braided wire.

yes short pots required. Gibson or Epiphone? gibson = holes are ok, Epiphone = pot holes need reaming

let me know how you get on / need more help

Archived