Gibson Brands Forums

Jonas Brothers Melody Maker Review

Stu4UinCinci

The name choice of this guitar makes me question Gibson’s sanity. But the specs make this very possibly the best Melody Maker ever made by Gibson. So despite the name, I bought one. And I do understand the controversy and debate this guitar review will spark over the name. Not that I have anything in particular against the Jonas Brothers. The problem is not the Jonas Brothers themselves, it is the public perception of the Jonas Brothers. I would not know a Jonas Brother if I bumped into one in a crowded Elevator. But what I do know about the Jonas Brothers is this:

1. They gained their popularity because they were relentlessly marketed by, and principally on, the Disney Channel and its associated creature media outlets.

2. Their core fan base are preteen boys (but mostly) preteen girls.

3. I have never heard a Jonas Brothers song anywhere, certainly not on adult FM radio.

4. It can likely be predicted with confidence that the current popularity of the Jonas Brothers will wane and eventually disappear (does anyone remember Hanson?).

And yet, Gibson chose to honor the Jonas Brothers with a tribute guitar? Why would Gibson want to soil their brand name like that? I just don’t get it. Most Melody Maker models have one pickup. This guitar has two, and they are the classic P-90’s. It also has a lightning fast ebony fingerboard on a slim tapered neck, which is rare in a quality guitar in this price range. This guitar is set up right out of the box and even in tune. It is light and ultra playable with great sustain and tone.

This is a “limited run” of 300 guitars. But I would suspect most of them will eventually get shipped back to Gibson as unsold and unsellable because of the Jonas Brother name.

• 2 months later...

The name choice of this guitar makes me question Gibson’s sanity. But the specs make this very possibly the best Melody Maker ever made by Gibson. So despite the name, I bought one. And I do understand the controversy and debate this guitar review will spark over the name. Not that I have anything in particular against the Jonas Brothers. The problem is not the Jonas Brothers themselves, it is the public perception of the Jonas Brothers. I would not know a Jonas Brother if I bumped into one in a crowded Elevator. But what I do know about the Jonas Brothers is this:

1. They gained their popularity because they were relentlessly marketed by, and principally on, the Disney Channel and its associated creature media outlets.

2. Their core fan base are preteen boys (but mostly) preteen girls.

3. I have never heard a Jonas Brothers song anywhere, certainly not on adult FM radio.

4. It can likely be predicted with confidence that the current popularity of the Jonas Brothers will wane and eventually disappear (does anyone remember Hanson?).

And yet, Gibson chose to honor the Jonas Brothers with a tribute guitar? Why would Gibson want to soil their brand name like that? I just don’t get it. Most Melody Maker models have one pickup. This guitar has two, and they are the classic P-90’s. It also has a lightning fast ebony fingerboard on a slim tapered neck, which is rare in a quality guitar in this price range. This guitar is set up right out of the box and even in tune. It is light and ultra playable with great sustain and tone.

This is a “limited run” of 300 guitars. But I would suspect most of them will eventually get shipped back to Gibson as unsold and unsellable because of the Jonas Brother name.

This is an interesting discussion... Because just today I bought this guitar at a very good price on a popular online auction site.... not giving a care about the Jonas Brothers.

Hadn't heard of these guys really, haven't even YouTube'd them. But I am a very much fan of The Gibson Melody Maker. Always have been. Further, I am intrigued by the run of 300. I am intrigued by the Ebony Fretboard, and 2 P90s. I am also noting how in the newer Melody Maker Specials they come with rosewood fretboards, and the Jonas Brothers come with Ebony. Also the finish is not available with the new Melody Makers. Interesting indeed.

Yes the Jonas Brothers are probably teeny bopper bubblegum music that has no business having a guitar named for them. Without ever having heard their music I am sure they are as rock & roll as a Chicken McNugget. and I don't need to hear them to know they suck.

But a rare guitar is a rare guitar.

In the mid 60s the Gretsch Guitar company made a MONKEES guitar that cashed in on the popularity of the musical TV comedy troupe (which was retarded and not funny) But these days those Gretsch Monkees guitar models are highly sought after and sell for a pretty penny. So yeah I bought a Jonas Bros MM for a very decent price.

in the meantime I won't sand the finish down. i won't modify the pickups. I will, however replace the pickguard. also I will carefully cover up the logo and perhaps with a white cloth tape. I don't know. But I will take care of it, and possibly gig with it. i mean P90s are P90s.

when the time is right, and the Jonas Brothers are bald and out of work, and facing their 5th stint in rehab... I will take this guitar out and gladly make my money back.... and then some?

Gotta love guitars!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Good comment.

Another forum member contacted me with a solution that both preserves the original specs yet hides the excreble JB logo... check out his solution at this link:

JB logo facelift

PS:

I hear a very faint hum when mine is pluged in to play. Does yours also do that? If so, maybe its a P-90 characteristic. I've never owned P-90's before.

Stu

Archived