Gibson Brands Forums

Byrdland

mattymus

Hi,I have a Byrdland,I guess by the embossed humbuckers it was made prior to may '72 but post '70 (it has a Norlin sticker)It has no volute.It unfortunately was stipped and is now natural,I am unsure as to the original finish.The 'luthier' who did the job also rubbed out the serial number,is there another place within the guitar where the number appears?

You are correct on the dating for the embossed pickups. It would be nice to know the serial number that was assigned to the guitar originally, but it will most likely be useless in determining a manufacturing date of your guitar. The Gibson serial numbers from this period are a complete mess with skipped numbers, duplicated numbers, etc.

The best way to determine the approximate date your guitar was built is by the potentiometer codes. Due to the absence of a volute, I would say your probably in the late '70 era.

PS: I'm looking for a pair of embossed pickup covers (or pickups) for my L-5CES. If you ever decide to change out the covers (or pickups) let me know. I have a spare pair of gold Gibson Classic 57+ that we might work into the deal.

Archived