Gibson Brands Forums

Bound fretboards

Lefty Guy

I have now had a couple of weeks to play my new Gibson SJ & compare it to my old J-45 & my Martin HD-28.

Overall I'm delighted with the new guitar in terms of tone & looks. I'm also pleased with the slightly wider nut compared to my J-45 but have one small problem which I didn't expect.

The SJ is my first guitar with a bound fretboard & after some pretty aggressive flatpicking of late I seem to have bruised the bone on the inside of my freting thumb. I'm thinking this is because the bound fretboard on the SJ has a sharper plastic edge than the unbound wooden one on my other guitars. I'm sure its my technique that exacerbates the problem as I tend to grip the neck tightly & my thumb always comes well over the edge of the fretboard.

So, is this just my technique or should I think about ways to "soften" the edge of the binding somehow? Any suggestions would be welcomed.

I can relate to this, as I use the same technique (thumb over fretboard) for some chords. It.s a combination of wider neck and fresh/unworn binding that is causing you pain.

In the long-term the edges will soften, of course. For quick results, I would not hesitate to use (carefully of course)a fine file or sanding stick to round over the offensive edges....

Archived