Gibson Brands Forums

Greetings

babyboy

Hello all,

I am a recent convert, former lover of all things Fender. Still love 'em, but am now the owner of a 2001 vintage sunburst es 335 Dot (I've been readin and I know it's not real till I post pics, soon).

just thought i'd share my story. was talking to an acquaintance/business associate and happened to mention that I play guitar. he said he had a gibson or something his father had given to him that he wanted to sell.

long story short, Gibson, Inc. gave his father, former chairman (or member somethinerother) of the Blues Foundation a new es 335 some years ago. neither of them play so it had been sitting up unplayed.

because we knew each other, he said he'd cut me a "deal". guitar was appraised by Gruhn at 2500, hed let me have it for 2000 even. I told him I could only do 1500, and he agreed. whew.

well, took it to the top luthier (least i think so) here in memphis and he gave me the rundown that Gibson rarely gives away a mint guitar, so it was probably a "Second" or one with a blemish severe enough to keep it outta retail. neck was bowed, frets and hardware rusted, and he found where it looks like misdrilled a post in the bridge, but Gibson did a good job correcting it. all is left is a circle where they patched it that is visible at the bridge post.

told me there was a chance she was a dud, but wouldn't know till after set up. well, he set it up, put a bone nut, dropped the tailpiece and topwound the strings and cleaned out the pots, told me i was a lucky man! guitar plays beautifully. gigged with her, "Baby", friday and I couldn't be more pleased.

not totally new to the semi-hollows as i owned an Ibanez AS73 which was very nice, but the real thing is unbeatable. i feel like a new man.

thanks for listening and i look forward to chattin with yall.

Good to hear that your guitar is a keeper! I just got my ES 335 after spending way too much trying to find a cheaper alternative. Of course as some find out, you can go for the real thing right away or spend near the equivalent trying to avoid the cost. I went though an Ibanez AS73, Sheraton II, and a Hofner Verythin Standard before finally giving in. I'm really enjoying the ES 335...finally!

You have a written appraisal from George Gruhn for $2500.00 on an '01 Dot? Blem?

I only ask because I bought a 1933 Gibson Mandolin from him this spring that was owned by Scotty Stoneman, and have the utmost respect for his opinion. It came with a very detailed appraisal, no doubt because of the history of the piece.

Best of luck.

Murph.

Good to hear that your guitar is a keeper! I just got my ES 335 after spending way too much trying to find a cheaper alternative. Of course as some find out' date=' you can go for the real thing right away or spend near the equivalent trying to avoid the cost. I went though an Ibanez AS73, Sheraton II, and a Hofner Verythin Standard before finally giving in. I'm really enjoying the ES 335...finally![/quote']

Thank you! That sums it up. Post a pic.

Here's mine (yeah, everybody's seen it before, but it's still a killer axe):

GibsonES-335.jpg?t=1223949338

You have a written appraisal from George Gruhn for $2500.00 on an '01 Dot? Blem?

I only ask because I bought a 1933 Gibson Mandolin from him this spring that was owned by Scotty Stoneman, and have the utmost respect for his opinion. It came with a very detailed appraisal, no doubt because of the history of the piece.

Best of luck.

Murph.

yah i was suspect when he told me too. even showed me the paperwork which i still have. only thing is the appraisal just reads like the specs for the current model. and the appraisal states that the "current market value" is 2500.00. so it really may not be a true appraisal, but rather a certification that its an authentic Gibson? maybe they were in a hurry that day??

pics coming tonight.

Based on current asking prices for 335s I'd say $2.5K is reasonable. I got mine for a bit less, which is why I jumped on it. Gibson's ain't cheap, in any sense of the term, and I have to say, now that I took the plunge, it was well worth it. Mine gets played nearly daily.

Archived