Gibson Brands Forums

Jack Casidy Bass

Gary Bassman

I have a Casidy bass that I love to play at gigs with my 3 piece blues rock band except I'm forced to use other instruments at times because for some reason I keep rubbing up blisters on my fingers when I play the bass for an extended period of time. I use Ernie Ball Hybred strings ( round wound ). I use these strings on my other basses and I do not have the problem on the other instruments. The problem is on my plucking hand ( I play with my fingers not a pick ).Has anyone else had this problem? Also I'd like to know what type of strings are most players having success with on this bass.

Hey Gary,

I cant answer your question... In fact, that is both strange & interesting that a particular brand of strings would only 'bite you' on one certain bass...

I just wanted to Welcome you to our Forum... it's a good'un... & you should wander into the Lounge & say 'hi' there... Tell 'em 'eggs' sent you... then assume the brace position [biggrin]...

& I am sure some of the Epi-brethren will tune in soon with an answer for you [thumbup]

So... apart from your mean strings, how do you like your JC Bass? I have never laid hands on one of those :unsure:

PS: I use D'Addario 45-105 Nickle Rounds on 'The Weirdbird'

Cheers,

I'm guessing that it has more to do with the style and shape of the bass and how it is being played compared to the other basses. It would seem that this bass changes your playing style or angle, I guess you could say. If the strings dont blister your fingers on other basses , then I doubt it would be the strings themselves at the root of the problem. More likley its a change in technique or hand/finger angles and you are just hitting a spot on your fingers that hasnt bee calloused yet.

If you like the bass and intend on using it, you are probably just going to have to play through and get past the blistering. Or you could swicth to flatwound strings. They might be a little easier on the tender spots.

Archived