Gibson Brands Forums

1 watt goodness

Tim Plains

^ yeah, mine's the only one. I called him up, Paul Sanchez, and asked if he had ever made one with a tube recto. He hadn't but thought it would be cool to try. I've never heard another one of these amps but Paul did say it sounds sweeter with the third tube. It cost a bit more but the red case he gave me has a blem; so, it was basically a wash. Also not shown on their website is the 3-way switch this amp has. Flick it one way and it gives more Vox-like chime. Flick it the other way and it adds more gain. It's actually a pretty cool sounding amp. I've tried a few 1 watt amps - Vox AC4, Blackheart Killer ant, Blackstar HT-1, Bumbox Lead 1. The Bumbox was a really cool amp but this is my favourite sounding micro amp I've heard.

Must be really loud, I tried a 2W head a while ago and was blown away by how loud that thing was... I didn't expect that.

Not really. I've run it through a Swart 112 and Marshall 212 cab so far. He put a 12au7 in mine and it stays fairly clean up until around 80% volume. I'm surprised it has as much headroom as it does, actually. If you want to hear a really loud 5w amp, try a Swart.

I also have a small ImpAmp also from ZVEX which is a small stereo amp that I run a IPOD through it's on 3-4 hours a day everyday at the minimum and it's going on it's third year again with no issues Like the nano amp I have a extra set of tubes and tool for it also but have never tried to change anything there either.

Those look cool. I may buy one for my wife's next birthday. She's iPod obsessed.

Must be really loud, I tried a 2W head a while ago and was blown away by how loud that thing was... I didn't expect that.

Back on subject, I know the pics don't show a blem, but I agree, that red does look like it would be really loud.

Archived