Gibson Brands Forums

replacing tuners/machine heads

rubyred

More than likely a dumb question, my 21yo Epi LP Standard is getting a make over, I am starting with new tuners at the moment.

I picked up some of these - Wilkinson WJ44CR Guitar Machine Heads Chrome with green keys/Wilkinson Deluxe Kluson style , mine has the ivory ones, they still seem ok, but i have always wanted the green ones.

My question is, after removing one of the old sleeves from the headstock, I measured it with digital calipers and it came in as 8.75mm, the new ones are 9.05mm.

Just wondering if there was a standard size.?

At a guess I would be better making the headstock accommodate the new ones as opposed to putting another metal sleeve over the new one tuners.

thanks in advance

Rubyred,

I've kind of let this one go. I was hoping that someone would chime in that knows more than I do about those particular tuners.

(I know nothing about them)

After looking around the web I get the feeling that although there are standard sizes for bushings, there are more than a couple.

I guess it depends on who makes the tuners.

First problem: I don't know doggy-do-do about where to get parts in Australia.

Anyway, world wide I did come across these:

http://www.axesrus.com/AxePartsMachine.html

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Tuner_parts/Tuner_Bushings.html

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Tuner_parts/1920s-style_Tuner_Bushings.html?tab=Specs#details

Don't know if any of that will help or not.

What I can tell you is that if it were me, I would make the bushings that came with the tuners fit.

If you already know how....great.

If not, ask and we can all have some fun working together. Of course, you will be taking the risks and doing the work.

By the by, I do have experience increasing tuner hole sizes. (as do many others here)

This Special II had bushings with 8mm holes. I opened them up to 10mm and put Grovers on it.

specialheadstockfront.jpg...specialheadstockback.jpg

Willy

Thanks Whitmore Willy

What I can tell you is that if it were me, I would make the bushings that came with the tuners fit.

I was thinking the same thing , as the amount to take out is around the .25 of a mm , don`t know if taping the headstock up and then drilling it out or get a round file and go that way. I saw that repairers use a tool called a reamer which looks like a big round file and do it slowly slowly with the holes taped up to prevent chipping.

Will post pics as it progresses.

Thanks for your help.

Rubyred,

Small pieces of masking tape are always a good idea. So is working slowly. After all, most of these sort of projects are one time shots. Might as well take your time, do it right and enjoy the work.

As to the reamer: I have one and I do use it. You can pay $50 U.S. and more for a stainless steel one. For as often as most people will use one, an inexpensive one can be purchased from most hardware stores for only a few dollars. I have that type and it works just fine. Again, I work slowly with no pressure and let the tool do the work.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM258596520P?prdNo=1&blockNo=26&blockType=G26

Keep in mind that if you ever use a tapered reamer it is only for opening up the top surface of the hole. Once the very top of the hole is large enough for the bushing the rest is done with a file.

For the small amount you are opening up the hole I'm not sure it is even necessary. As you stated, a small round file would probably do the trick. For opening up to larger holes (say 8mm to 10mm) I use the reamer and then a dremel but care must be taken.

Another useful tool for work that involves small screw holes is a pin vise.

pinvisex300.jpg

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00940737000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

They usually come with some very small drill bits. You need to work slowly and carefully as the bits can be broken easily. I usually use a needle as a center punch to mark my spot.

If the old screw holes are spot on...fantastic.

If they are slightly off then I fill them with tooth pics dipped in glue and re-drill.

If they are going to show but are of no consequence then I fill them with wax from a crayon. Crayon wax makes it easy to match colors. I rub some shavings in with my finger and then polish over. Some people just fill them with a tooth pick and cover with nail polish. Both are viable methods.

Only refinishin the back of the headstock will make the holes disappear. The above methods do make them less noticeable.

You probably know all this and it is all covered in Anamilfarm's DIY at the top of the Epi Lounge.

Still, I thought I'd throw it out for those that are new to the forum.

Willy

Archived