Gibson Brands Forums

trying to identify a guitar

kqueue

I have a friend who has a vintage Gibson. It is an F-hole, narrow neck and inside the guitar are what appears to be S49G-10. The dash and the 10 are in red and a different style than the S49G. He talked to someone at tradeincashout.com and they were pretty excited about it, but he's not sure if they are legitimate. Can anyone help identify this model, and is it collectible?

Thanks for your help!

Krista

Hi Krista,

The number you provided looks like a Gibson factory order number from 1941.

Except it would make more sense if the "S" were a "5". Maybe your friend could look again?

So assuming that....it would be #10 of a batch of 10 or more guitars from factory order 549G

It would be lots easier to ID this if you could post or link to a photo. Measuring the body at its widest might help too,

My guess from your description is that its an L-30, L-37 or L-50 as these had no oval paper labels with serial numbers....just the factory order stamp and hand written red penciled number.

ziz

Thanks, ziz! I already asked him to look again to double check his numbers because I couldn't find anything on S49G. I'll see if he can bring me a photo too. Should there be a serial number somewhere? Where should we look for it?

Krista

Hi Krista,

The number you provided looks like a Gibson factory order number from 1941.

Except it would make more sense if the "S" were a "5". Maybe your friend could look again?

So assuming that....it would be #10 of a batch of 10 or more guitars from factory order 549G

It would be lots easier to ID this if you could post or link to a photo. Measuring the body at its widest might help too,

My guess from your description is that its an L-30, L-37 or L-50 as these had no oval paper labels with serial numbers....just the factory order stamp and hand written red penciled number.

ziz

Krista,

If the guitar also has a serial number it would be visible on a oval label that would be viewed through the bass side f-hole.

The factory order number (FON) is usually located by viewing through the treble side f-hole.

Some of the less expensive models had no label with serial number....just the FON.

The letter "G" assuming thats what's he's seeing there.....places it in the early 40's.

Would love to see it.....nothing quite like pondering a mystery guitar!

ziz

I agree with Jim........Its an L-30.

From the photos, I'm still comfortable with 1940-41 dating.

This was the lowest priced archtop in the Gibson catalog from circa 1935-42.

They're not uncommon and much more afffordable than many of Gibson's upper level models these days.

Come to think of it, my first vintage Gibson was an L-30.

I've had a couple since that were very good sounding small bodied archtop guitars and lots of fun to play.

Hope your friend is enjoying his!

z

Archived