Gibson Brands Forums

epiphone case question

davedadude

Hello, About 2 years ago i bought an epiphone dot. (natural finish made in korea.. mabye post pics soon as i can figgure it out how to) Anyways, my question is about the case actually. I take good care of all my guitars and cases and, few days ago, i went to get her out of the case and, i noticed at the top of case in back that the black colorong was scuffed off in few places. I never bang my cases around but, they all sit leaning against each other in vertical (standing up) position in my closet. The dings are not big or anything but, they are there and it's enough to worry me a bit. Is the covering on the case that soft? And is this happening to anybody else here? Also, is there any kind of protectant or something i could put on it? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Dave.

Dave,

To the best of my knowledge,

Naugahyde (or the hide of the rare and mysterious Nagga) is an inexpensive version of leather.

Very thin Tolex is an inexpensive version of Naugahyde.

Kleenex is an inexpensive version of thin Tolex.

Many cases today have a Tolex covering. Most are very thin and don't stand up to much abuse.

Best I've found for a fix is a bit of carefully placed glue to stop the rip from spreading and then a magic marker

for disguise.

Willy

Archived