Gibson Brands Forums

ES335 w\Fender Princeton Reverb RI

ldweber51

Greetings,

I have a new ES 335 Dot Gloss in Sunburst & I use a Fender Princeton Reverb RI when I play my guitars.

I was checking to see who else might have the same setup & what settings you like to use, both on the guitar & amp.

Thanking you in advance, Larry... [smile]

Greetings,

I have a new ES 335 Dot Gloss in Sunburst & I use a Fender Princeton Reverb RI when I play my guitars.

I was checking to see who else might have the same setup & what settings you like to use, both on the guitar & amp.

Thanking you in advance, Larry... [smile]

If you want to hear what kind of tones these settings will give, listen to the two tunes I posted on SoundCloud (the link is on my introduction page under "Here I izz!")

GUITAR: set all controls to 7/pickup selector in middle position

PRINCETON: bass 4/middle 6/treble 5/reverb 2

Mind you, this is only your starting point. If you want more bite, increase the VOLUME of the bridge pickup before you "dime" the tone control. More neck volume will give you a greasier, Jazzlike tone.[set it up like my rig, and you get a Godlike tone! LOL!! [laugh] ] Fine tune using the tone pots...

Seriously, The Princeton was my main studio amp for many, many years. I use a couple of vintage point-to-point Traynors these days, but the Princeton is a great, under-rated amp. Mic it up and push it through the house for a killer blues tone!

Hope this helps.

J/W

[smile]

If you want to hear what kind of tones these settings will give, listen to the two tunes I posted on SoundCloud (the link is on my introduction page under "Here I izz!)

GUITAR: set all controls to 7/pickup selector in middle position

PRINCETON: bass 4/middle 6/treble 5/reverb 2

Mind you, this is only your starting point. If you want more bite, increase the VOLUME of the bridge pickup before you "dime" the tone control. More neck volume will give you a greasier, Jazzlike tone.[set it up like my rig, and you get a Godlike tone! LOL!! [laugh] ] Fine tune using the tone pots...

Seriously, The Princeton was my main studio amp for many, many years. I use a couple of vintage point-to-point Traynors these days, but the Princeton is a great, under-rated amp. Mic it up and push it through the house for a killer blues tone!

Hope this helps.

J/W

[smile]

Thanks J/W for your reply. I'm so use of playing my strat V4 T9 B9 R4. But my ES did not sound well at all using those settings. It's been many moon's since i've had a ES again, i now remember why i missed it so... Larry...

I don't have a Princeton but use several other valve and trans amps at mid EQ settings

Then set my 335 Dot at neck vol 10, tone 10 for clean rhythm etc

And bridge vol 7-10 tone 0-3 plus stomp gain for lead....

V

:-({|=

Thanks for your reply Versatile, I'll give them a try when I power up later. Larry... [smile]

I have a Princeton Chorus, solid state, 25.5 watt amp per channel (it's stereo) that I love, but is no longer made by Fender. I don't know the difference in tone between it and the Princeton Reverb, although I suspect that the Chorus amp is an attempt to make a solid state sound like a tubed version. I use this ES-335/amp combination to play clean jazz tones. The reason I am posting to the OP is because I use wound 3rd D'Addarios on my 335, and if the amp is not set to emphasize the mid and bass end, I get a sharp, trebley interval from the third to second string that requires that it be softened. So I set my tone controls at 7-bass, 6-mid, and 5-treble on the amp, just for the 335, and only when I play the neck and/or center pick-up positions (I'll set the tone controls around 6-7 on the pick-ups). Also, if the pick-up volume is set too high, it can get a little muddy.

I generally use a vintage Deluxe Reverb or Vibrolux Reverb, but I have a "FrankenPrinceton" reverb, which is a '79 chassis & trannys in a Mojo cab with a BF clone board, vintage caps, Weber 10F125, etc. (Long story on this amp!) Anyway, I'll generally set the volume fairly high, like 7+, treble on 7.5, bass on 2.5 - 3 (reduce bass as volume is increased) reverb on 2-3. I run a 335 generally on the neck pickup, but may use the bridge pickup on special sections. I run the tone on the neck pickup on 10, on the treble I roll off the tone to about 7. On some stuff I'll do a "Clap-Tone" deal with both pickups. Start by turning the neck pickup volume all the way down, the bridge pickup volume all the way up. Run the neck PU with the tone rolled all the way off, the bridge pickup with tone on 7, then blend in the neck pickup volume control a bit at a time to thicken the tone, but not enough for "woman tone". I do tho more on Les PAuls than a 335, but it works great on both.

Whew wee! Sounds like a killer setup, but I'm surprised you're having problems getting a usable tone. I have not played through a Princeton Reverb reissue, but I do know that the originals (of course) are absolutely killer, fantastic tone machines. I actually just was playing a '64 Princeton, no reverb, with a 330 with only the one pickup in the middle of the body and was getting great tones all day long with multiple volume and tone combinations on the guitar. As for the amp, I had it at what I normally do for mid volume stuff, which is t at 6.5, mid at 5 and bass at 4.5. Sounded great! As with all Fenders, and I think someone already said this, the higher the volume, the more treble you'll need or the more you have to ease off the bass. Good luck, though, hopefully you'll find something that works for you.

Whew wee! Sounds like a killer setup, but I'm surprised you're having problems getting a usable tone. I have not played through a Princeton Reverb reissue, but I do know that the originals (of course) are absolutely killer, fantastic tone machines. I actually just was playing a '64 Princeton, no reverb, with a 330 with only the one pickup in the middle of the body and was getting great tones all day long with multiple volume and tone combinations on the guitar. As for the amp, I had it at what I normally do for mid volume stuff, which is t at 6.5, mid at 5 and bass at 4.5. Sounded great! As with all Fenders, and I think someone already said this, the higher the volume, the more treble you'll need or the more you have to ease off the bass. Good luck, though, hopefully you'll find something that works for you.

In 1967-68, I was playing a silverface Princeton Reverb and a '62 ES 330 TDC (block inlays). That was the BEST rig I ever owned, and I was stupid to get rid of it. [wub] I will say, however, that I have a couple of vintage Traynor amps from roughly the same era that I probably would not swap even for a vintage Fender. I really like the sound I get for my style of music, and they are awesome in the studio. I am very attached to them...

...[ and I should also say that I believe my tri-burst ES 137 Classic might be the ONLY guitar I have owned since 1968 able to take the place in my heart the old 330 once occupied. The 137 is that good. A "classic-in-waiting", as I believe milod has called it!]

Regards,

J/W

B)

In 1967-68, I was playing a silverface Princeton Reverb and a '62 ES 330 TDC (block inlays). That was the BEST rig I ever owned, and I was stupid to get rid of it. [wub] I will say, however, that I have a couple of vintage Traynor amps from roughly the same era that I probably would not swap even for a vintage Fender. I really like the sound I get for my style of music, and they are awesome in the studio. I am very attached to them...

...[ and I should also say that I believe my tri-burst ES 137 Classic might be the ONLY guitar I have owned since 1968 able to take the place in my heart the old 330 once occupied. The 137 is that good. A "classic-in-waiting", as I believe milod has called it!]

Regards,

J/W

B)

That sounds like a great set up! Going a little bit off topic here, but I'm always on the fence on the 137. On one hand I love the idea of a thinline 175 guitar shape because I do love 175's, but the one thing I'm not a huge fan of is the les paul style trapezoid inlays. I know, I know, it sounds so stupid, and it is an exquisite guitar, I mean really a stunning guitar, but I just have always felt like those inlays belong on a Les Paul. I also am aware that those inlays appeared on Gibson L-something-or-others back in the 40's and even before, but just the iconography I have associated with them being the Les Paul inlays, it just seems weird to see them on any other guitar. Also I'm not a big fan of the 12th fret "c" inlay. If that guitar had blocks or parallelogram inlays, good God, I'd be on one of those so fast. And the upgraded version is great, but I'd rather have rosewood than ebony on the fretboard. I really wish I wasn't such a picky idiot! I missing out on an awesome guitar!

That sounds like a great set up! Going a little bit off topic here, but I'm always on the fence on the 137. On one hand I love the idea of a thinline 175 guitar shape because I do love 175's, but the one thing I'm not a huge fan of is the les paul style trapezoid inlays. I know, I know, it sounds so stupid, and it is an exquisite guitar, I mean really a stunning guitar, but I just have always felt like those inlays belong on a Les Paul. I also am aware that those inlays appeared on Gibson L-something-or-others back in the 40's and even before, but just the iconography I have associated with them being the Les Paul inlays, it just seems weird to see them on any other guitar. Also I'm not a big fan of the 12th fret "c" inlay. If that guitar had blocks or parallelogram inlays, good God, I'd be on one of those so fast. And the upgraded version is great, but I'd rather have rosewood than ebony on the fretboard. I really wish I wasn't such a picky idiot! I missing out on an awesome guitar!

[laugh] Ain't it the way... different strokes for different folks. I happen to like the trapezoid position markers, and I don't like the "C" inlay, either, but you get used to it. Honestly, when I play on mine, the sound and action make me forget everything else. I would have preferred a solid mahogany neck, but - who knows - that may have had unwanted tonal consequences. The 3-piece maple will certainly take the knocks better than mahogany.

I don't like the custom version, 'cause I don't like the split diamonds or the Varitone, but the ebony wood fingerboard and fancy binding work is nice, to be sure. All in all, though, I feel about my ES 137 as I do towards Mrs. JellyWheat... I love them both to death, warts and all!

J/W

[scared]

[For GAWD's sake... don't tell Mrs. Wheat I said she had WARTS! I'll never play again!]

Archived