Gibson Brands Forums

My "Cool" hand built pedal!

I redid my set-up to match up with what I'm playing lately, and finally built something I had been wanting to build for at least 15 years now. Some here might remember Electro-Harmonix had an mechanical expression pedal that could turn knobs by way of a treadle pedal and a cable, called The Hotfoot. EH stopped production of these back in the early 80's I don't know why, these were great pedals...they go for over $220-$250 on eBay when I see one which is very rare. A while ago maybe 10 years a company called Tone In Progress came up with something similar with a different design, called the "3rd Hand"...I assume EH still has a patent on theirs. Well these TIP's were pretty expensive and went for $150, the company stopped making them and then started up again with a lower price and I think an improvement on the drive belt in the pedal because I read many reviews about how the drive belt stretched out, so I think they put in a better belt. They go for $79.99 at Muzictoyz.com whom I do believe is who markets them. Well it inspired me to make my own of which I was toying with 2 different designs for some time now, one electronically and one mechanically. Well I made the mechanical one which is basically a Dunlop Crybaby gutted and using the rack & pinion inside and a cable with ends that allow for an allen screw to grip the pot post. Below are pictures of the EH Hotfoot, the 3rd Hand, and mine in my pedal board I call "The Coolcat".

My current pedal board consists of from left to right in chain is: my "Coolcat", Rocktron Tsunami stereo chorus/delay, Rocktron Short Timer delay, Fulltone Clyde Deluxe, Fulltone Deja Vibe 2.

is44268525884774.jpghotfoot.jpg

DSCF2521.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived