Gibson Brands Forums

I need some help with wiring...

Riffster

Damn, time to stop and ask for directions...

I am rewiring my Explorer with a Master Volume and 2 Tone configuration.

Stock pickups, added covers, soldered, wax-potted and they test OK so I did not killed them in the process.

I bought an RS Guitarworks super pot for the volume and 2 tone pots.

I installed Mojo Vitamin T caps at 0.022uf and I am using the following Seymour Duncan wiring:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_2t_3w

The problem is I get so sound or signal, only the bridge pickup makes noise but just noise. The only thing I did different is that I soldered the ground from the jack directly to the back of the volume pot.

The other is that there is an additional groung wire coming from the 3-way switch and I soldered that to gound as well.

IS this wiring diagram correct?

How can I trobleshoot without starting over? I have a very capable multimeter and I have masured the caps, pickups, pots, etc but I am still missing something...

Tough to tell without seeing it, but, check your wiring on the 3 way switch. If it were me I would follow the wiring diagram as far as the ground connections. It shouldn't make a difference of ehat you did, but ya never know!

As Long as you have good output readings on your pickups and the pots all measure good it HAS to be the switch OR the jack!

Good luck!!

Thanks for the response, I checked the jack and it is OK.

It may be the switch wiring, I am going to swap 2 wires and see if that works. I mean there isn't a lot to this wiring, I feel a little stupid for not getting it right at the first try.

I was affraid I burned one of the pots or caps but they all measure OK.

The main thing is I wanted to know if the wiring on the SD website is correct, the fact that they show 0.047 caps for humbuckers made me think the diagram could be wrong altogether.

Got it! thanks it was the ground to the switch, I assumed the black wire was ground but it is not, green is. Not very intuitive. So I swaped the wires which is the only thing left to do.

I will be posting pics shortly on the Explorer section of the forum so check them out....

Archived