Gibson Brands Forums

Help I.D ing a Epiphone neck

The Radman

Greetings my fellow Epiphonians,

My purpose today is to identify a neck I recently acquired, and to welcome and introduce myself back into your illustrious forum community.

Now that the formalities are out of the way; I picked up this neck at a local used music store:

I saw this hanging on the wall and immediately noticed it was rare indeed. Naturally I snatched it up for all of fifteen bucks and change. Now, as to what it is:

The Epiphone Logo, is in metallic space tape material {looks like abalone?},inlayed on the end of the headstock. "Gibson" all black truss rod cover plate on the headstock, which is all black with Courier New lettering.A 6 inline angled {tiltback} headstock with a downward sloping nose.

I believe to be known as a non-reverse headstock.{Explorer?}

Maple neck, quartersawn and glued for addition of headstock.

Rosewood finger board. 24 medium jumbo frets.Nine dot markers on the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th, 15th, 17th, 19th, and 21st fret positions.

Now here's the catch: the dot markers are at the top of the fingerboard, meaning directly below the low E string in each position, {or if you prefer between the 6th and 5th strings; directly underneath} rather than being straight up the middle, as is usually the case.

Can anyone help me find out what I have? It's really been kinda annoying,I've been searching everywhere but all my leads are gone.

But don't worry, I still have my rhythmic sensibilities intact. [thumbup] CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP?

THANKS,

THE RADMAN

Welcome, Radman. I could have a stab at it, but I'll bet RTH knows for sure and he'll be along sometime soon.

Cool, cant wait.

I feel pretty special with this thing in my hands,

it's like it was designed for me personally, and my playing has never been better!

If ever I get a camera, a picture will be forthcoming with what's attached to it now as well. Yes, it is part of a guitar now and it's

the last one for me, ever.. A real work of custom art, sculptured from genius.

It sounds like an I-Series neck.

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php?title=I-Series

Looks quite like a 635I specifically, although it's hard to see detail up close in the pics. Wow, you guys know your ****. Thankz RTH, I needed that.

Now imagine this attached to a LesPaul 100, with twin push-pull pots installed on the tone controls tapping the 650R and 700T pickups.

Sperzel 6 inline locking machines mounted uptop and a Gibson TP6 fine tuning tailpiece, to complete the string path/setup.

This is an extremely advanced guitar with world class action, looks, sound and playability. I have less than 750.00 into it total.

Epiphone ROCKS! HARD!

The I-Series are all 25.5" scale. A Les Paul is 24.75" scale. Better check your intonation.

I had the neck professionally installed: their isn't a dead spot, or a flat or a sharp on any note. Full fret polish/crown.

Every note on this guitar rings out loud and true it's so in your face it's hairyscary. The neck itself is utterly perfect. As is the intonation. After being slightly modified by shaving about 3/16" off the end of the fretboard to fit the neck pocket. We matched the 25.5 scale length, to fit the body. Rather than matching the neck to fit the scale length of 24 3/4".

It's the truest sounding guitar {to my ears} I've ever played; including those Buzz Feiten models, Fenders, Gibsons, PRS's Rickenbacker's Gretch's and then some...it sounds quite as good as any other guitar I have, and I have a few {Sweet 16, + a Bass}.

Thanks again, for the info, now I gotta figure out what to call it. [cool]

The Paulacaster of course, took me long enough.

Goes perfect with my Radocaster.

Archived