Gibson Brands Forums

Tom Murphy Aged Les Paul

walkie240

Hello from Melbourne Australia! I'm new to this forum... wondering if i could have some help?? I have a Lemon Burst, Aged 1959 R9 les Paul. The guitars back control plate is signed " Burst wishes Tom Murphy" I have the Authenticity papers and other sale documents from a music store in Japan!! I purchased this guitar about 5 years ago from a gentleman in Perth Australia. The serial number is 901628. Could i please have some help in regards to the year this beautiful guitar was made?? Any information would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

If the serial number is 901628 and you purchased it about 5 years ago, it could be a 2000 or 1990 (although unlikely it is a 1990 if it has authenticity papers and is aged). The same serial number would also appear in 2010. The details of the guitar would help pin down the year. If you remove the large control cover on the back maybe you can see the code number on the pots which may help narrow the year. My "best guess" without seeing it would be a 2000. Tom Murphy signed a lot of those covers for the Japan stores over the years. They are very cool. You may want to contact Gibson Customer Service directly.

Customer Service

If the serial number is 901628 and you purchased it about 5 years ago, it could be a 2000 or 1990 (although unlikely it is a 1990 if it has authenticity papers and is aged). The same serial number would also appear in 2010. The details of the guitar would help pin down the year. If you remove the large control cover on the back maybe you can see the code number on the pots which may help narrow the year. My "best guess" without seeing it would be a 2000. Tom Murphy signed a lot of those covers for the Japan stores over the years. They are very cool. You may want to contact Gibson Customer Service directly.

Customer Service

Hey Mate, Thank you for your information. i have removed the control cover and could not find any other pot number!! This is very strange to me... It has Gibson on the pots but no other serial/pot number!! What i found was a R9 stamped/printed on the body in black ink. I have emailed Gibson customer service and am waiting for a reply... thanks again mate! Cheers

Archived