Gibson Brands Forums

Toby Deluxe IV - What's the story?

WillC

While I was looking at upgrading to a Tbird IV Pro this spring, I ran across the Toby Deluxe IV after looking at the pretty pictures and going over the specs I thought it would be a $500 - $600 guitar. After finding the price to be universally set at $249 I am left a bit confused as to the quality of this guitar. Reviews are pretty close to non-existent. So what's the story on this guitar? The low price tag (strange enough) is nearly a put off! What's your opinion of this guitar vs. the $500 tbird pro? It will be awhile before I can make it to a guitar center to check out.

I dont think that anyone here really knows much about the Tobias basses. Although the Gibson Corp. has owned Tobias for quite some time, listing them with the Epiphone line is something new just a few months ago. I know that at one time, Tobias was considered a higher-end instrument, but at the current price for the entry models, I dont know what the quality is. I would imagine that the T-bird Pro is a higher qualit bass all around, but as far as how they both sound, I cant tell you.

I was going to make a joke about Roots and the name Toby, but I decided it was racist.

A T-Bird Pro is pretty much going to destroy anything in the current foreign-made Tobias line. The USA Tobiases are a different matter. Those are very high end, multi-thousand dollar instruments.

Archived